X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worldlife
    started a topic Asbestos - blighted properties

Asbestos - blighted properties

The November LandlordZONE Newsletter has an article on page 2 about Asbestos Managment and the Duty to Manage

Various links are provided including an extremely useful one to Health and Safety Executive - Short Guide to Managing Asbestos in Premises

The Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) are set out in the HSE booklet and the one that may be of most interest to landlords would appear to be Asbestos Insulation Board (AIB) that is described as a High Risk Material.

It seems to me, and I stand to be corrected, that provided they are identified within the building (maybe entered in a property logbook) and the surfaces are intact and well protected with paint then there is no need to take action to replace AIB.

There is an obvious need to let tenant's know what action to take in the event of the panels being accidentally damaged.

The problem is that people generally are frightened as soon as the word asbestos is mentioned! The presence of AIB firedoors needed for orginal Building Regulation approvals or for Houses in Multiple Occupation could well put off some tenants or prospective purchasers of a property.

The cost of non ACM firedoors will be very expensive for landlords or owner occupiers and due to the number of ACM firedoors in the Country I don't see the Government will be forthcoming with grant aid.

Is it best to take action now and incur expense to remove the blight on a property? At some time in the future the AIB will deteriorate and require replacement and maybe disposal and replacement cost will by then have increased substantially more than inflation.

See also previous thread on Asbestos cement fire door panels - wilful damage

Our fire doors seem to be a more brittle cement like panel than the AIB shown in the HSE booklet

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
    28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
  • Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
    I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
    I do not intend to live at the property
    Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
    As its...
    28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
    28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by theartfullodger
    Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
    28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by Hudson01
    If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
    28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by jpkeates
    That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
    The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
    28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
    28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
    28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
Working...
X