Asbestos - blighted properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asbestos - blighted properties

The November LandlordZONE Newsletter has an article on page 2 about Asbestos Managment and the Duty to Manage

Various links are provided including an extremely useful one to Health and Safety Executive - Short Guide to Managing Asbestos in Premises

The Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) are set out in the HSE booklet and the one that may be of most interest to landlords would appear to be Asbestos Insulation Board (AIB) that is described as a High Risk Material.

It seems to me, and I stand to be corrected, that provided they are identified within the building (maybe entered in a property logbook) and the surfaces are intact and well protected with paint then there is no need to take action to replace AIB.

There is an obvious need to let tenant's know what action to take in the event of the panels being accidentally damaged.

The problem is that people generally are frightened as soon as the word asbestos is mentioned! The presence of AIB firedoors needed for orginal Building Regulation approvals or for Houses in Multiple Occupation could well put off some tenants or prospective purchasers of a property.

The cost of non ACM firedoors will be very expensive for landlords or owner occupiers and due to the number of ACM firedoors in the Country I don't see the Government will be forthcoming with grant aid.

Is it best to take action now and incur expense to remove the blight on a property? At some time in the future the AIB will deteriorate and require replacement and maybe disposal and replacement cost will by then have increased substantially more than inflation.

See also previous thread on Asbestos cement fire door panels - wilful damage

Our fire doors seem to be a more brittle cement like panel than the AIB shown in the HSE booklet
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
    by leasee123
    So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
    02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
  • End of tenancy questions
    by leasee123
    Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
    01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
  • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
    by bob369
    I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
    Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
    02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
  • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
    by bob369
    Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
    24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
    by jpkeates
    You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
    02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
  • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
    by Section20z
    The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
    02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
  • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
    by meehr
    For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
    01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
    by leasee123
    But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
    02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
  • Reply to who's repsponsibility
    by jpucng62
    Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
    02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
  • who's repsponsibility
    by madmaxwell
    Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
    02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Working...
X