Ending a tennancy agreement due to problems with damp..

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ending a tennancy agreement due to problems with damp..

    I moved into rented property a few months ago and with the onset of cold weather we have noticed a huge amount of damp in the bedroom.
    The landlord installed a complete fitted wardrobe prior to us moving in and we have discovered that all of the clothes in there are damp and covered in mold. We have also noticed damp patches on the ceiling now (this being a top-floor flat)

    I have asked the landlord to investigate and he says it is simply due to condensation and not his problem.

    The outside walls of the property are covered in mold and damp patches which makes me very suspicious and I am sure that the amount of water we are collecting in our dehumidifiers is too high to be resulting from condensation.
    Both my fiancee and myself are suffering from chesty coughs which we can't shift, my property is being damaged and I do not feel that it is reasonable to remain here under these conditions.

    Can I demand back my deposit and terminate my 12 month lease after only 3 months due to this situation?

    thanks in advance


  • #2
    Contact your local Environmental Health Officer. You also haven't said if there is adequate heating, or even if you have
    used it! It's unusual to have mould on the external aspect of premises.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    • #3
      Thanks Paul

      The flat has heating but we have never used it due to the fact that the whole flat is warm due to heat from below and to each side, from adjacent accommodation.

      If it were condensation then surely it would be a problem in the kitchen and bathroom (rooms adjacent to the bedroom and exterior walls) but in nay case, regardless of the cause of the damp, surely this is grounds to want to leave premises which are damaging to our health and property.

      Incidentally, I don't know if you can advise but is it not the case that the landlord should disclose such a problem - apparently there were complaints from previous tennants, which is why he installed the built-in wardrobes...




      • #4
        A landlord does have an obligation to disclose any problems, like an estate agent has to, but only if asked.

        You would need some sort of evidence that the mildew is damaging your health - a doctors report that specifies it perhaps?

        You may find this leaflet useful: http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utiliti...m?mediaid=5420

        Take Pauls advice, contact the EHO and ask for their advice. I suspect it is the landlords problem from what you say, and the EHO will be able to help you get him to fix the defect.


        Latest Activity