no heating!!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    no heating!!!

    dear all! i have a problem here and hope, somebody can help me. for 2 weeks now hour heating is not working. i contacted the landlord and he keeps on sending plumbers in , but apparently the thing is so rotten, that it needs changing. now it was freezing cold the last weeks in england and i ended up having a cold! do i have any legal rights to get at least some of my rent refundet? we were never provided with electric heaters or something... maybe it's worth mentioning, that my rent gets deducted directly from my salary, as i'm a nurse and this flat is hospital accomodation. my hospital forwards the rent to the landlord every month. i asked the HR people already to at least withhold the rent untill the heating is sorted, but they do not want to deal with it...
    any advice or help is much appreciated! thanx!

    When you say it is "hospital accommodation" do you mean it's provided by the hospital as a condition of your employment. If you are dealing with a social landlord (which the hospital could be) rather than a private landlord things might be a bit different.

    If, however, your landlord is just an individual who offers accommodation to nurses and the hospital are not foirmally involved then you can indeed demand compensation for no space heating. Under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 S.11 the landlord has a legal obligation to provide space heating at all times, so if the CH packs up then he must provide you with alternative heating AND pay for any extra power over and above what you would normally use.

    Write to your landlord stating that unless it is fixed satisfactorily within 48 hours (he's had long enough) you will call in a gas engineer (if it's gas heating we're talking about) to effect an adequate repair and deduct it from the rent, plus a bit more for compensation. You are going to have to stop deductions from your salary as the hospital should folow your instruction. Why is it deducted as such like this?

    Also can you tell us whether you have an AST, it's fixed term, and if an individual is stated as your landlord on it?
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Tenants shilly shallying
      by ash72
      Always follow your process (if you have any) with any T referencing, even if they are recommended by someone. Most insurance want this conducted to avoid the policy being void.
      01-08-2021, 19:33 PM
    • Tenants shilly shallying
      by JK0
      A couple of weeks ago, my friend introduced me to a potential tenant. She liked the flat, agreed the rent, and we agreed she would move in 1st August. I took a week's rent as deposit.

      In view of the lady living some distance away, I gave her the key safe combination, as she wanted to get...
      01-08-2021, 18:56 PM
    • Reply to Tenants shilly shallying
      by JK0
      Oh, I don't know the partner from Adam. I just (foolishly) took my friend's assurance that she is good for the money, and she showed me her passport the other day.
      01-08-2021, 19:20 PM
    • Reply to Investment Advice £50k cash
      by Section20z
      Your best rental bet is pick up 5 or 6 lock up garages at auction. You'd be hard pushed to find a flat or house for that money other than in the grim north.
      01-08-2021, 19:14 PM
    • Investment Advice £50k cash
      by LandaLorda
      Hello Lords,

      I'm new here so please be easy on me.

      For £50k cash, where's the best place to buy to let in the UK with decent yield?

      Or am I dreaming? £50k might not get me anything!

      Is it worth buying a flat on lease to rent out? Or should I be looking...
      01-08-2021, 19:01 PM
    • Reply to Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
      by 45002
      If utilities bill are in tenant's name, LL will not be able to access anything !

      Unless LL tries to put bills in their name .
      01-08-2021, 19:13 PM
    • Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
      by haystack1979
      Our landlord wants to insert a clause in our tenancy agreement to require us to maintain a temperature of 20 degrees in the house in order to mitigate a damp problem, is this legal? It's a very old place with a kitchen with thick stone walls which is poorly ventilated. The previous owner had the damp...
      30-07-2021, 11:33 AM
    • Reply to Investment Advice £50k cash
      by ash72
      Your Q is too vague, if your planning on getting a mortgage, or the total investment is 50k, also how much experience you have in renting, all the compliance aspects of the property, where or not you will live locally to the property or give it to an agent who will manage it which will reduce your yield....
      01-08-2021, 19:12 PM
    • Reply to Tenants shilly shallying
      by ash72
      If she wants to move in, then get the money back for the locks being changed. If you referenced both T's and they passed, then I would mark it as teething problems especially if the T hasn't rented previously. I avoid this type of situation by getting the T to sign the tenancy at a pre-agreed date and...
      01-08-2021, 19:07 PM
    • Reply to COVID clause in ASTs
      by ash72
      If the LL cannot provide entry into the property on the appointed date that is a breach of contract. To that end the T are entitled to compensation for losses arising from the breach. If you had a clause, then this has to be an unfair term, and in contradiction to the main term of the contract.
      01-08-2021, 19:02 PM