Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Eviction Conundrum

Hello,

I served a Section 21 Notice on my tenant a few weeks ago and it is due to expire within the next 3 weeks. The tenant by the way, currently occupies my property on a Periodic Tenancy.

Could anyone on this wonderful Forum please advise me of the following:

1) Am I obliged to provide a reminder to the tenant about the soon-to-expire Notice?

2) Should the tenant fail to vacate the property on expiry of the Notice, when am I legally permitted to commence court proceedings for possession?

3) Should the court make judgement in my favour, will the tenant be liable for my costs?

4) I do not have an inventory of the property when first let to the tenant. However, I took several pictures of both the interior and exterior, as it had been newly-refurbished.

In the event of the tenant causing any damage to the property or any of its content, can I use the pictures and/or receipts/invoices to take some form of action against them?

Thank you.

1) No
    2) Immediately
    3) Yes
    4) Possibly, but to be really effective, the photographs should have been dated and signed by the tenant.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

On point 1, if its possible your tenant does not read their mail (it happens) , it might not hurt to give them a gentle, diplomatic reminder. It could save you trouble in the long run.
      You might need to arrange a check-out time with them; an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
        On point 1, if its possible your tenant does not read their mail (it happens) , it might not hurt to give them a gentle, diplomatic reminder. It could save you trouble in the long run.
        No problem, the law requires that notice is served correctly but does not require that the tenant reads it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWoof View Post
          No problem, the law requires that notice is served correctly but does not require that the tenant reads it.
          You are right, but if a gentle reminder makes the difference between a tenant overstaying their welcome and leaving on time, its a more efficient result for the LL in the long run.
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X