Suspending a warrant of possession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspending a warrant of possession

I received a warrant for possession. The tenant applied to suspend it. The judge told her that it was a mandatory ground (8) and the warrant would stand. At that time she owed £3400 in rent.

I said if she paid £1500 that day I would consider not going through with the eviction. She gave me a cheque and cash to £1400 and said she would put the extra £100 cash in my account on the following Monday. Needless to say, she didn’t. I gave her until Thursday and there was no money so I telephoned her and as she had defaulted on our agreement within a week she was still to leave.

She has now made another application to suspend on the basis that we made an agreement for her to pay £1500 that day. (I later found out that she had put £100 in my account on Thursday). The court have listed it on the same day as the eviction!

Where do I stand legally? She is asking for more time to pay and says I have not fulfilled my part of the agreement although it was her who didn’t! I no longer want to enter into any more agreements with her and just want her out even though she still owes £2100. Can anyone advise me?

Hope you have someting in writing or witness to your conversation.
    Why did yo make such an offer if you had s8 poss which hopefully included order for unpaid rent?

Comment

I was worried about her leaving the property and not paying any of the arrears? do you think they will suspend the warrant of possession?

Comment

Firstly, you need to attend the hearing because if you dont, then the likely outcome is the court will suspend.
        The court has given you a mandatory possession order - what this is likely to circle around is you offering to cancel the eviction if she paid £1500 - she then paid just £100 short of that but later made that sum up. The court does have a wide discretion and I personally think the warrant will be suspended because the courts generally try not to evict if possible. You might get a judge that is stickler for the rules and say eviction will go ahead but I think from what you have said you are more likely to find the judge siding with the tenant being given another chance to avoid being kicked out - you will of course be able to add your court and warrant costs onto the debt and possibly hearing attendance costs if you ask for them. The difference between her first application to suspend and the second is that in the first she had not any money on the table - now she does she is in a more favourable position and so slightly are you - you can hold a sword over her head and possibly get all your money.
        Please post back, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Just to clarify, what has the OP done 'wrong'.
          Should the OP have refused the money?
          Or should she not even have said she would consider not going through with the eviction?

In similar circumstances in the past, I have said that I wouldn't enter into negotiations unless a significant sum was paid off the arrears. Was I leaving myself open in doing this?
          Is it best to just totally ignore the tenant?

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. Davidjohnbutton on th last application the judge said that he had no discretion. You now say that the courts have a wide discretion. Is this because of the agreement which we entered into? Or is it because she has now paid some of the arrears? The original possession order was made in November last year for £2800 and I've given her so many chances through the year. Last week it was £3400 but her failing to pay the £100 really was the last straw for me.

Comment

Obviously, you will claim there was no 'agreement to suspend the claim' just an 'agreement to consider'. I am not sure if that will make a difference - but it should.

Does T currently owe more than 2 months rent?

Comment

Yes she does. She still owes 2 1/2 months rent.

Comment

The judge will "look to you" to agree to suspend the warrant and if you dont agree is likely to weigh up the fact that the tenant has paid approx one third of what you agreed would stop the eviction, albeit £100 was late.
                  Legally, the judge should not over-ride the mandatory S8 PO but they do have a power of discretion they can use. In my opinion, the OP needs to contact tenant and come up with a plan to discharge the owing amount and then both put that through to the court as agreed to suspend the warrant on terms of £x per month or whatever in addition to the ongoing rent. That will be nodded through - what you dont want is the judge making the decision for you - he/she is likely to think that well if I suspend the WOP using discretionary powers, the claimant will still get possession if she fails to keep to the arrangement.

Comment

Ok. I also have realised how cheap the rent is. If we do agree to suspend on certain terms, am I able to serve her with a section 13 notice of rent increase or can I not do that whilst she is on a suspended order?

Comment

Originally posted by jeanine008 View Post
                      Ok. I also have realised how cheap the rent is. If we do agree to suspend on certain terms, am I able to serve her with a section 13 notice of rent increase or can I not do that whilst she is on a suspended order?
                      I believe you can - but I don't believe now is the time to do so. If you hit tenant with a rent increase right now, she is likely to say "forget you" and any chance of a win-win is likely to evaporate.

Comment

Well you were right! They suspended the warrant of possession....Grr! My own fault really. Where do I go from here? The court have suspended on the terms that she paid £1500 (the rent and some of the arrears) by 28th November, £1230 (the rent and some of the arrears) by 28th December and then the rent of £770 per month in full thereafter. Can I now serve her with a notice to increase the rent or do I have to make an application to change the terms of the suspension?

Comment

You can now serve a S13 notice to increase the rent which would take effect one month from service. Your S13 does not have to be ratified by the court - when the S13 takes effect it will alter the base rent figure to which she must add the arrears payment each month as ordered by the court.

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
                            You can now serve a S13 notice to increase the rent which would take effect one month from service. Your S13 does not have to be ratified by the court - when the S13 takes effect it will alter the base rent figure to which she must add the arrears payment each month as ordered by the court.

Ok. That's great. I'll do that thank you. What can she do if she disagrees with the rent (which she will) and is there a minimum amount by which I can increase it? It's not gone up since 2008!

Comment

T can refer the new rent to the local Rent Assessment panel within 28 days of receipt.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                                by Renterthedragon
                                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                                by ash72
                                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
                              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                                by flyingfreehold
                                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                              • Reply to Single parent renting
                                by Hooper
                                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
                              • Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                              • Reply to Single parent renting
                                by Hudson01
                                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
                              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                                by Hudson01
                                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
                              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                                by Forgetmeknot
                                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                                by ram
                                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
                              • Let a house to local council
                                by r3drum
                                Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
                              Working...
                              X