Adding third tenant to AST.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding third tenant to AST.

When renting a two bed flat to a couple I agreed they could get another tenant in to the spare room at a later date. Just over a month into the tenancy they have found someone (T3). Now I am not sure which way to go about adding T3 to the tenancy.

Or would it be simpler to agree to let them sublet so long as the licence is subject to the terms of the AST?
    Assume I know nothing.

Easiest is to allow them to have the new person as a lodger.

Having all 3 on a tenancy agreement is likely to get messy if all 3 do not want to end the tenancy at the same time.

If third tenant is 'rolling in it' and the current tenants are a bit flakey financially then I can see that adding him may be advantageous to you - joint and several responsibility - and you would either do this by getting cuirrent tenants (A&B) to surrender their tenancy and then issue a new tenancy to A, B & C, or you could assign the current tenancy from A&B to A, B & C.

Comment

Thanks S.

The current tenants are good financially with a combined income of 100K (rent about 18K), working for blue chip companies, no dependants. I think they would just like to save for a deposit.

If they sublet, presumably I just make any agreement for them to do so subject to the terms that any licence issued by them will only be permitted if it is expressly subject to the terms of the AST? Would that permission need to be by deed? Any other things to consider?
      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X