How much of a rebate should I offer tenant whilst communal areas are redecorated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much of a rebate should I offer tenant whilst communal areas are redecorated?

The management company of the building in which I own a flat are carrying out major reworks in the communal areas. How much of a rebate should I offer my tenant? Are there any guidelines to ensure I offer a fair amount?

That very much depends on whether the tenant will be able to live in the flat as normal.

Or are the works such the tenant will have to move out?

Please give more details.

Comment

A rebate?

Shouldn't you be putting the rent up in view of a nicer environment?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

The flat itself is not directly affected although there are issues during the day with noise and sometimes dust. From the outset, I've offered a cleaner to come in as many times as necessary to clean the property at my expense.

Comment

Surely the contractors are required to keep the communal areas "clean" therefore unless you have very draughty doors I suggest that the amount of "extra" dust arriving in the flat will be minimal. Given noise etc; given that most contractors do not start until nine and finish by four (twelve oclock on fridays)I do not see that there is an issue. Certainly in your position I would merely inform the tenant of the schedule of works and let them get on with it. Certainly would not be sending in cleaners!!!!

Well thats my view!!!!

Comment

There is a difference between 're-decorating' (your thread title) and a 'major re-work' (your #1) involving lots of dust, noise, etc.

Please clarify exactly what is being done and how long it is likely to take.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by gobsmacked View Post
              The management company of the building in which I own a flat are carrying out major reworks in the communal areas. How much of a rebate should I offer my tenant? Are there any guidelines to ensure I offer a fair amount?
              How much is YOUR landlord ( The management company ) giving you
              for the disturbance.
              If the answer is "nothing", then that is what you as a landlord offer to your
              tenants,, absolutely nothing.

Want a nice place to live in ? then you put up with the repairs that
              MAKE it a nice place to live in.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
                by Hudson01
                I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
              • Advice Needed
                by Confused2022
                Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
              • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                by Hudson01
                I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
              • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                by Laurasplog
                We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                by theartfullodger
                What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
                16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                by Laurasplog
                The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                by Laurasplog
                The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
              • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                by theartfullodger
                In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
              Working...
              X