How much of a rebate should I offer tenant whilst communal areas are redecorated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much of a rebate should I offer tenant whilst communal areas are redecorated?

The management company of the building in which I own a flat are carrying out major reworks in the communal areas. How much of a rebate should I offer my tenant? Are there any guidelines to ensure I offer a fair amount?

That very much depends on whether the tenant will be able to live in the flat as normal.

Or are the works such the tenant will have to move out?

Please give more details.

Comment

A rebate?

Shouldn't you be putting the rent up in view of a nicer environment?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

The flat itself is not directly affected although there are issues during the day with noise and sometimes dust. From the outset, I've offered a cleaner to come in as many times as necessary to clean the property at my expense.

Comment

Surely the contractors are required to keep the communal areas "clean" therefore unless you have very draughty doors I suggest that the amount of "extra" dust arriving in the flat will be minimal. Given noise etc; given that most contractors do not start until nine and finish by four (twelve oclock on fridays)I do not see that there is an issue. Certainly in your position I would merely inform the tenant of the schedule of works and let them get on with it. Certainly would not be sending in cleaners!!!!

Well thats my view!!!!

Comment

There is a difference between 're-decorating' (your thread title) and a 'major re-work' (your #1) involving lots of dust, noise, etc.

Please clarify exactly what is being done and how long it is likely to take.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by gobsmacked View Post
              The management company of the building in which I own a flat are carrying out major reworks in the communal areas. How much of a rebate should I offer my tenant? Are there any guidelines to ensure I offer a fair amount?
              How much is YOUR landlord ( The management company ) giving you
              for the disturbance.
              If the answer is "nothing", then that is what you as a landlord offer to your
              tenants,, absolutely nothing.

Want a nice place to live in ? then you put up with the repairs that
              MAKE it a nice place to live in.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant in situ
                by jpucng62
                What about getting them to surrender existing tenancy and then signing a new one? Would that work?...
                24-01-2022, 16:52 PM
              • Tenant in situ
                by Bridge2020
                I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
              • Trying to end tenancy early
                by asez
                Hello,

I'm trying to end my tenancy early due to a relationship breakdown with my housemate, hostility, bullying and my items going missing. There's currently four of us on the agreement which I'm trying to leave. I haven't lived there, apart from around 15 days(when the housemate was away)...
                24-01-2022, 16:47 PM
              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by theartfullodger
                a) so the mobile home does not provide the (very) basic facilities that any tenant or judge would expect for a dwelling....
                b) Agree with jpk: Should it get to court (which is when the issue matters..) can;t see any judge deciding it's anything but a tenancy & you the landlord er... not at...
                24-01-2022, 16:26 PM
              • Rent a Room scheme
                by lgr001
                I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by jpkeates
                It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
                The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
                So things that need to be done at the very start...
                24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by jpkeates
                You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
                If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
                24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
              • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
                24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
              • Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
                24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
              • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                by DoricPixie
                How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
                24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
              Working...
              X