accomodation hunt nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accomodation hunt nightmare

i am finding it hard to locate housing that accepts dss!

i am going through a divorce and as a result it is best that i leave the family home! i have two children/sons aged 5 and 7 and am looking for somewhere close to a primary school for them.

so far everyone says that they do not accept dss but there must be someone that does? i have no option at min but to use the dss to pay the rent so can anyone please help or advise?

i understand that some have had bad experiences but we are not all bad tenants and my house that i am leaving is very clean, i have to because i dont want my sons becoming ill so please can ayone advise? any areas are considered as long as i can have fresh start for my family but would apreciate from lincoln upwards iff poss

As a landlord i find the problem, is not always with H.B tenants, most of whom i have no more problems with than ones paying full rent themselves, any one can sometimes need help, the problem is with the councils H.B department, who like many other government bodies i have dealt with are totally inefficient, that is the main reason i dont look for h.b tenants but would certainly not refuse them on that criteria alone.
    so the only advice i can give is to keep looking, be straight with prospective landlord, and explain your situation.
    Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

Landlord willing for DSS tenants - But NOT Allowed

The last three BTL mortgages (with 3 different companies) I have taken out all say "no Housing Benefit" or equivalent.

Thus, while I might be willing, my mortgage contract forbids this. So, while I could ignore this, if I did then there is the risk that the company (if they found out) could recall the mortgage.

Also, round our way the local HB department seem to have a permanent finger over the "suspend claim" button, and will stop payments for the most spurious of reasons then reinstate it a couple of weeks later. It messes up the cash flow no end, confuses us and the tenant, and often means that there is a shortfall which when complained about miraculously re-appears.

For a landlord, HB personnel are the pits, always ready to quote the Data Protection Act if they don't want to talk - even though we have written consent from all our tenants. Also, our local authority, no doubt in the interests of equal opportunities, employs staff whose ability to write a letter in understandable English does not exist; whose telephone manner is naturally rude and abrupt; or whose foreign accent is so strong that understanding them on the phone is almost impossible. Sometimes the staff member has all of these traits - and probably gets the internal "Employee of the Month" award nearly every month.
      On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Hi Jojo. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you, or any one else on this forum, know if it is necessary for the HB applicant to be resident in the Local Authority area, before they can apply for HB pre-tenancy determination on a prospective house? I just thought that maybe a L.A. would only be willing to help those already living in their L.A. area. This would make it harder for people to move out of their LA area.

I don't know how these things work, but am interested to learn.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

People moving to an area can ask for a Pre-Tenancy Determination. HB is not to be confused with Social Housing as it is Government funded and not locally funded. You can even apply for Social Housing if you have "connections" with an area !!

Originally posted by Bel View Post
          Hi Jojo. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you, or any one else on this forum, know if it is necessary for the HB applicant to be resident in the Local Authority area, before they can apply for HB pre-tenancy determination on a prospective house? I just thought that maybe a L.A. would only be willing to help those already living in their L.A. area. This would make it harder for people to move out of their LA area.

I don't know how these things work, but am interested to learn.
          Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Have you applied for council housing? depending on your reasons for leaving the family home, the council may have a duty to house you.

Comment

Good idea of Caroline's .. also try and get to your local Shelter office - they will help and advise you, even acting as your advocate, when trying to get re-housed - they do it every day, helping 1000's .. so they know what they're doing.
              Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X