Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspection Advice

Hi,

How many inspections take place under a six month AST - on average? one or two?

My AST Agreement says:

“That the Landlord or any person authorsied by the Landlord orhis Agent may at reasonable times of the day on giving 24 hours’ written notice, (unless in the case of an emergency) enter the Property for the purpose of inspecting its condition and state of repair. The tenant shall permit the Property to be viewed on reasonable notice (of at least 24 hours) at all reasonable times during the final weeks of the tenancy…”

Can you refuse them entry if they ask for constant inspections?

They have sent me a letter with the following paragraph:

“If you are unable to attend this appointment, not to cause you any inconvenience we shall enter with our file key.” Is that allowed?

Any pointers appreciated.

For a new tenant, quarterly inspections ( every 3 months) might be considered normal. Don't take it personally.

If you look at the agreement you signed, you can see that you have promised to allow them access with a min of 24 hours written notice, for inspections and repairs, and possibly viewings before your tenancy ends. However if they are doing inspections or visits without justification, that is another matter as they are interfering with your "quiet enjoyment" of the place.

You do not have to agree to let them in if you are not there. They cannot force you. You do not have to cooperate full stop, but it will go against you if you are not reasonable about it. If you would prefer to be present whenever they inspect, that's fine. You will be breaching your contract if you are not reasonable with access. No future landlord wants an uncoopertaive tenant. And any good future agency will make sure that you can account for your previous accomodations with a reference.

They just want to keep there property well maintained and make sure everything is ok. If you prove yourself a good tenant, then they will probably feel less need to inspect quite so often. It is possible some landlords/agencies may overstep the mark, but inspections are part of renting.
    There is a lot of stuff in this forum about inspections; suggest you do a search.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by homesweethome View Post
      My AST Agreement says:
      “That the Landlord or any person authorsied by the Landlord orhis Agent may at reasonable times of the day on giving 24 hours’ written notice, (unless in the case of an emergency) enter the Property for the purpose of inspecting its condition and state of repair. The tenant shall permit the Property to be viewed on reasonable notice (of at least 24 hours) at all reasonable times during the final weeks of the tenancy…”
      That's very much bog-standard wording for an AST agreement.

Can you refuse them entry if they ask for constant inspections?
      Legally speaking, you can refuse them entry for any inspections at all, if you really want to be stroppy.

“If you are unable to attend this appointment, not to cause you any inconvenience we shall enter with our file key.” Is that allowed?
      No.
      If you don't want this to happen I should write back to them and let them know that under no circumstances are they to enter the property without your specific consent and [if you really want to get in their good books!] and that if they do, you will take legal advice etc etc....

You have the right to 'quiet enjoyment' of your home and LLs/agents entering without permission have been prosecuted and heavily fined.

The downside of all this of course is that if you show yourself to be totally unreasonable about granting access etc, you will undoubtedly find yourself turfed out after 6 months, which the LL can do without needing to give any reason. As an LL myself , I would certainly take a very dim view of a tenant totally denying me access to check that my £120K asset is being looked after!

Comment

many thanks..

..for the pointers...

We have only been in the tenancy 6 weeks & i have rented before and it just seemed a bit early on in the tenancy, i have no problem with them inspecting (i am keeping the place in good order) but didn't like the sound of them being able to let themselves in regardless..

We are buying a house so will end the tenancy at the end of the six months so perhaps I will send a letter saying I am happy for them to inspect with notice but that I don't give my consent for them to let themselves in.

I don't think it will get me far though - they are really poor agents, i have rented before to far more professional ones!!

Comment

If your buying, don't worry too much about upsetting them then!

Just mention the word 'harrassment' if they look like ignoring your instructions.

All the best.
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

<snip>

I go along with Eric that you should underline that, unless you give your express consent, the file key should not be used for routine visits or maintenance purposes.

Maybe state you would like to be present at the visit and suggest a few times and dates when you would be available to let them in.

If the landlord or agent fails to meet your reasonable responses you are within the law to change the locks on the property to secure your privacy. You will have to restore the original locks at the end of the tenancy unless the landlord agrees to accept your replacements.
            Vic - wicked landlord
            Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
            Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
              by Yasmenaax
              Thanks for the link, according to the checker I should be one.

What you have said makes complete sense, totally agree, and I feel more assured now so thanks again for your help and level of detail into this.

I’m also pursuing it with some law firms to be completely on the...
              30-07-2021, 11:41 AM
            • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
              by Yasmenaax
              Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
              29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
            • Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
              by haystack1979
              Our landlord wants to insert a clause in our tenancy agreement to require us to maintain a temperature of 20 degrees in the house in order to mitigate a damp problem, is this legal? It's a very old place with a kitchen with thick stone walls which is poorly ventilated. The previous owner had the damp...
              30-07-2021, 11:33 AM
            • Reply to Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
              by jpkeates
              Try and change suppliers.
              The outgoing supplier will do everything that they can to prevent this (the automated routes won't work), but they'll have to do it eventually.
              30-07-2021, 11:12 AM
            • Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
              by nreid
              My tenant was evicted back in April of this year after a lengthy period.
              Besides this trauma, the problems continue.

My new agent has emptied the letterbox and found a number of concerning items. One is the matter of a court summons for unpaid council tax. I have since taken over...
              29-07-2021, 20:21 PM
            • Reply to solicitors fees
              by doobrey
              It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct....
              30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
            • solicitors fees
              by rob1648
              Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
              29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
            • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
              by jpkeates
              Assuming that you are a tenant (there's a good checker on the Shelter website - which might be useful to point your landlord at)..

There are a number of ways a tenancy can be brought to an end, but for a landlord to end the tenancy, there are only two options (other than by agreement with...
              30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
              by Piffy
              We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
              And I believe that there...
              30-07-2021, 11:06 AM
              by Hudson01
              We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow
              30-07-2021, 11:00 AM
            Working...
            X