Getting new LL to do outstanding repairs after purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting new LL to do outstanding repairs after purchase

A friend of mine has had a long running disrepair dispute, originally with the previous LL, who did nothing except sell up. He didn't disclose to teh new LL that there was ever a dispute over disrepair and so he had to start again and go through the protocol before action; The current LL has taken well over a year to take the disrepair seriously.

There are major problems all of which have been subject to an Environmental Health officver report which clearly states that the work that needs doing.

The LL (a major High Street Bank) has only just got off it's backside and initiated quotes for the work which are likely to be in excess of £50k (peanuts to the Bank who spent nearly £500k on refurbing the bank premises below).

Yesterday, my friend received a letter in the post telling him that a Commercial Real Estate representative would be calling round which suggests to him (and me) that the Bank is looking to sell the property on.

My friends question are:

1. If the property is sold on, what options are available to him to ensure that the disrepair is notified to the prospective purchasers

2. Would he, legally, have to start the disrepair protocol before action from the beginning again or would he be within his rights to assume that the new LL's took over the property knowing of the disrepair and therefore just carry on from that point onwards, trying to get them to carry out the repairs, if they haven't already been done. (I'm thinking along the lines of a Transfer of Undertaking).

Thanks in anticipation of someone giving some input here ..

PS. there is also disagreement over tenancy status. The Bank have gone by what the former LL told them and only accept that they are Assured Tenants whereas my friend is going through the process to show they are Rent Act Tenants, so worrying about a S21 in either scenario, is not even in the equation thankfully.
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Originally posted by pippay View Post
    <snip>There are major problems all of which have been subject to an Environmental Health officver report which clearly states that the work that needs doing.<snip>

Was an official letter or formal notice issued by the relevant Council? Have Environmental Health been informed of the changed circumstances?

Yesterday, my friend received a letter in the post telling him that a Commercial Real Estate representative would be calling round which suggests to him (and me) that the Bank is looking to sell the property on.

Why assume this? The Estate Representative may be looking at a whole range of issues such as the expenditure needed on the property and those works that it is mandatory for the landlord to complete. You have mentioned that the tenancy may be Rent Act protected and the costs of repairs and renovations could well cause problems. Maybe the Representative would prefer to make a reasonable offer to assist the present occupiers to move out

My friends question are:

1. If the property is sold on, what options are available to him to ensure that the disrepair is notified to the prospective purchasers

Normally the purchasing solicitor would seek this advice from the vending solicitor. If the Council have issued a formal notice this should be declared

<snip>

The second question is more one for the lawyers

Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

An official letter was sent to the previous LL, who sold to the current one. But no formal notice. The EHO are aware of the change of ownership.

This Real Estate Co are not the Managing Agents. They are totally separate and new on the scene. Their portfolio suggests they are more into corporate aquisitions and sales and commercial auctions. Plus they were there to look at all the residential flats in the building.

I can't see how the cost of the renovations could cause a problem when this is a Bank with billions at their disposal.

The Managing Agents already made their final offer some months ago.. to move the family of 4 into 2 separate flats under a new tenancy agreement with no financial inducement. It was rejected.

Originally posted by Worldlife View Post
      Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
        by Perce
        It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
        29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
      • Section 21
        by zrux
        Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
        I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
        28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Section 21
        by MdeB
        Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
        29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
      • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
        by Stew
        I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
        29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
      • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
        by MadLL
        Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
        I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
        29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
      • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
        by Perce
        DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
        29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
      • The tenant won't pay due rent
        by Uklondoner
        The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
        18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
        by Hudson01
        I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
        29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
        by Perce
        Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
        29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
      • Reply to Section 21
        by Perce
        The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
        29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
      Working...
      X