Empty housing initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty housing initiative

Just had a letter through on a property I jointly own, and have been awaiting for funds for redevelopment (and am in fact now selling, having just exchanged yesterday). They are asking of what our plans are of the house, and threaten reposession under the new empty homes legislation

Funnily enough tne property next door has been vacant (and is boarded up - ours isn't) and is owned by a housing association. Probably 30% of the houses on the street are owned by the same asssociation and are also boarded up. I wonder if the council will be contacting them? Hmmmm.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Just had a letter through on a property I jointly own, and have been awaiting for funds for redevelopment (and am in fact now selling, having just exchanged yesterday). They are asking of what our plans are of the house, and threaten reposession under the new empty homes legislation

Funnily enough tne property next door has been vacant (and is boarded up - ours isn't) and is owned by a housing association. Probably 30% of the houses on the street are owned by the same asssociation and are also boarded up. I wonder if the council will be contacting them? Hmmmm.
    But your question is...?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Would love to know what kind of response you get from that one!!

As you say the councils are quick enough to have a go at private landlords and yet do nothing about their own housing stock.

We had a tenant move out of one of our properties andmove to council one. It was a hovel.. they promised to renovate it before she moved in and only did half a job, then kept promising completion. The place was a right mess. She soon asked if she could move back with us and we have just moved her into a house of her chosing which we purchased for her benefit.

I have heard of council tenants having to live with out adequate heating and hot water supplies for months with no sign of the central heating being fixed.. How long do you think a private LL would get away with that one!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
        The point is, the council need to sort out their own back yard first... By keeping their properties in a run down state they depress an area, making other peoples properties unrentable/unsellable - they need to look at getting theirs sorted first!

I sold a house to the council on a fairly run down street about 18 months ago - the council are paying a private landlord to house tenants in a house on the same street, while the one they bought off me (in fully refurbished cond) stays empty. I might ask them if they intend to reposess (from themselves) the house I sold them!!!
        True. Not just back yard but house to sort out.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X