Can DPS deposit be used to pay rent arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can DPS deposit be used to pay rent arrears

My T has left thank God, but I was told by my LA that I cannot ask DPS for the deposit to pay his rent arrears owed, only for cost of damages inflicted. Is that right? I was also told the DPS process can take quite a while as it amounts to a dispute procedure (yet another one!).

Anyone out there with a similar story?

Agent is talking out of his bottom. You can certainly claim rent arrears from the deposit.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

That's not right - of course you can claim against the deposit for rent arrears - that's one of the main reasons for taking a deposit in the first place. Technically, your letting agreement should state that this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorKilo3 View Post
        I was told by my LA that I cannot ask DPS for the deposit to pay his rent arrears owed, only for cost of damages inflicted.
        You can claim for unpaid rent *if* the contract says that unpaid rent may be set against the deposit. (Sometimes contracts don't allow it to avoid T not paying the last month's rent and telling LL he can deduct it from the deposit).

So you need to read the contract.

I was also told the DPS process can take quite a while as it amounts to a dispute procedure
        I've never had to use deposit scheme adjudication (ADR) but as claiming via the county court takes at least six months I imagine ADR is a lot faster.

Comment

One of our tenants defaulted on his last rent, and we claimed it from DPS. Tenant has to agree for funds to be released, but I think they only have a certain time to respond, and no response is deemed as an agreement to the deductions.

Comment

Thanks guys not that it matters because T has left with more than the deposit's worth of damage on top of rent arrears. The good thing is it is now a criminal case and the CID police had just contacted me. It seems they are keen to hunt T down, so perhaps that can still happen.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting process
              by ash72
              Why haven't you raised this with the LL or the agent, would seem the logical thing to do in this situation. Advice for both LL and T's if you have any doubts walk away.........
              27-01-2022, 11:10 AM
            • Advice to others when you have a CCJ against a Tenant
              by ash72
              Just thought I'd inform others of my current situation, back in 2018 I evicted a non-paying Tenant (prior to Covid) I got 2 CCJ's against the person, 1 was from the possession which awarded me the court fees and the a 2nd when I claimed for the rent arrears and damage to the property. I have now instructed...
              27-01-2022, 11:04 AM
            • Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
              by NewGuyOne
              A separate room toilet and hand basin, next to the kitchen. The bedroom has a window, a small step up to a en-suite shower, which also has a ventilator inside.

I've attached a simple sketch of the layout for you all to see (good idea), apologies for the drawing, my wife's the artist...
              26-01-2022, 22:20 PM
            • Flat rental bathroom query
              by NewGuyOne
              Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
              16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
            • Reply to Water Damage
              by AndrewDod
              Surely the water will have dried a week later? If it is still wet you and the tenants are going to have bigger problems that a ruined carpet. The flat will become a ball of mould in a few days.

Buy an industrial size dehumidifier and get that carpet out asap
              26-01-2022, 21:39 PM
            • Water Damage
              by Cheetah
              I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as...
              25-01-2022, 08:34 AM
            • Reply to Selling to tenants
              by r3drover
              that’s a good point. No need to say more than that. Thanks!...
              26-01-2022, 19:28 PM
            • Selling to tenants
              by r3drover
              Hi, hoping you good people may be able to give me some advice 🙂

i have a rental property that I am now looking to sell. I am interested in selling to my tenants and have been looking at my contract with my letting agents to see if there are any consequences of this.

There’s...
              26-01-2022, 16:27 PM
            Working...
            X