Deed of Surrender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deed of Surrender

My tenant is just a few weeks into a new (2nd) 6 months AST, which he requested and he has now decided that he wants to end the contract early. There are no issues with the tenancy. He tells me that a house has become available just a few miles away.
    He is an indecisive person and I am afraid that if new tenants are found then he might change his mind again and decide to stay.
    I have looked through FAQ's and wonder if I should consider a Surrender Deed and agree a notice period, also what is the likely cost for the deed?
    Please help me make the right decision.

AFAIK you cannot apply a Notice period so early in a fixed term other than ones laid down by AST for termination at end of fixed term
    Don't know if Deeds of Surrender take immediate effect, but they need not cost anything provided they set out the Agreement and end 'signed as a Deed' with both parties signing and dated.
    eg "Mr X, tenant of <address> surrenders Tenancy of said property on <date> and the landlord accepts.
    Signed as a Deed
    T sig LL sig
    Tenant Landlord

Current Date

If T subs changed his mind / house purchase fell through LL would be under not obligation to offer further AST after surrender date.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      AFAIK you cannot apply a Notice period so early in a fixed term other than ones laid down by AST for termination at end of fixed term
      Don't know if Deeds of Surrender take immediate effect, but they need not cost anything provided they set out the Agreement and end 'signed as a Deed' with both parties signing and dated.
      eg "Mr X, tenant of <address> surrenders Tenancy of said property on <date> and the landlord accepts.
      Signed as a Deed
      T sig LL sig
      Tenant Landlord

Current Date

If T subs changed his mind / house purchase fell through LL would be under not obligation to offer further AST after surrender date.
      Thanks for your fast reply.
      The Tenant wants to give me notice to enable him to get out of the AST. In the last 2 weeks he brought his partner to live with him in the house and I think that they have found a larger property.
      He didn't ask about letting his partner stay and hasn't let me know officially.

Comment

if you just get a letter of surrender it is worth nothing within the fixed term. Tenant can change their mind at any point. I do not know if this applies to a deed but a deed would certainly need to be witnessed etc. I would not give notice. Is this relating to a HB claim I wonder?
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by kangoo1 View Post
          The Tenant wants to give me notice to enable him to get out of the AST.
          The T cannot 'give notice' to end the tenancy earlier than the end of the fixed term unless there's a break clause in the contract.

What he is doing is offering to surrender; you are free to accept or reject this offer. If you reject it, and treat the tenancy as continuing, then the T will remain liable for rent for the remainder of the fixed term.

If you accept the offer, you are entitled, as a condition of acceptance, to demand T pay you a sum of money (for example, a sum equivalent to a couple of month's rent). If T agrees to pay this money, then a Deed of Surrender should be drafted, and T should pay the agreed sum and vacate the property before the Deed is executed. The tenancy will then end on the date specified in the Deed, and you will be free to relet. Obviously, if T has paid the equivalent of two months rent, and you relet within a couple of weeks, then you would gain from this arrangement - but if it took longer than two months to find a new tenant, then you'd lose out. There are also associated costs such as drafting of the Deed, and/or reletting costs to bear in mind.

In your shoes, at this stage, I would simply remind the T that the contract he signed is binding, that you will not agree to an early surrender, and that he is liable for rent for the remainder of the fixed term.

Comment

This is a case where you need to keep it simple. Either insist on the tenancy being maintained or agree a clean break on terms you are happy with.

Comment

To everyone who has replied - many thanks for your valued advice.

Comment

Just a small but important matter. I have written the deed of surrender as advised but need clarification on the witnessing of the signatures. Can I witness the tenant's and tenant witness mine or is there a need for a third party to witness both, if so must the third party be unrelated?
                Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by kangoo1 View Post
                  Just a small but important matter. I have written the deed of surrender as advised but need clarification on the witnessing of the signatures. Can I witness the tenant's and tenant witness mine or is there a need for a third party to witness both, if so must the third party be unrelated?
                  Many thanks in advance.
                  Firstly, why are you agreeing to a surrender? Has T offered to pay you in exchange for agreeing to this?

Secondly, mariner's so-called 'Deed' is not adequate for the purpose, and no, you and T can't witness each other's signature; the witness must be a third party.

Go to a solicitor and pay him to draft a Deed. It should not be executed until the T has fully vacated (and paid you the money you ought to be demanding).

Comment

Thanks Westminster. Tenant has agreed to pay me 2 months rent to come out of contract. I am happy with this.
                    I would prefer to purchase the deed of surrender on line. Is there such a service available and at what approximate cost. If anyone can help then please PM me. I will need it in the next few days.

Comment

Didn't I put one on here somewhere?

Comment

Yes, you did.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...236#post209236

But OP would need to add a clause about the tenant agreeing to pay £X.

Comment

I appreciate your help so much.
                          I have studied the document which Lawcruncher kindly posted and added this clause:

3.1 The tenant agrees to pay the Landlord the sum of nine hundred pounds
                          3.2 The Tenant surrenders the Tenancy to the Landlord

Would this be the most appropriate place in the deed to insert the clause? Also do I need to state that it is 2 months rent or why it is being paid?

Comment

Subject to whatever lawcruncher says I would replace clause 4 with

"The Landlord will accept the Tenant's surrender of the Tenancy on receipt of £900 from the Tenant in a manner acceptable to the Landlord."

You'll also want to add "Subject to the Landlord's acceptance of the Tenant's surrender of the Tenancy..." on to the start of clause 5

This can be made more complicated but there's no need in this instance. The important point is that by running the clauses together you have made the acceptance of the surrender contingent on receipt of the money - if the tenant doesn't pay then their surrender isn't accepted and they'll still be liable for rent.
                            Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Thanks bhaal

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
                                He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
                                Can anyone...
                                25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
                              • Tenant application form
                                Elum
                                Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
                                25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                              • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                                aciduzzo
                                I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
                                25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                                aciduzzo
                                I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
                                25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                leaseholder64
                                It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
                                25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
                              • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                                scooter08
                                Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
                                I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
                                25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
                              • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                                scooter08
                                I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
                                25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
                                25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
                              Working...
                              X