Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information sharing

Hi All,

This is a quickie that I had hoped google could help with, but it hasn't.

I have a landlord who wants a list of all our tenants phone numbers and email addresses for properties we manage for him (around 30 houses). This is so he can arrange repairs with them directly. They are to be given a new email address to contact for repairs, taking us out of the loop.

Can this information be given out? The ICO do not refer to agencies on their websites, but say if landlords should give the tenants the contractors to arrange repairs direct - not vice versa, so doesn't really answer my questions.

The tenants have not given any pre-consent for information to be given out this way.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

As you are the landlord's agent, you are effectively the same legal entity as the the landlord.

So the landlord having the contact details for tenants does not amount to a "disclosure" as regards Data Protection.

It might be polite to tell all tenants that the landlord may contact them directly to arrange repairs. But landlord should not give tenants' details to contractors without tenants' permission.

Comment

Suggest you review T&Cs of your management contract with LL. As sadS indicates he has a right to any T info you hold on his behalf. You could dodge the bullet if you provide Ts with LLs alt email address for arranging repairs, making it clear that they would be dealing with LL direct.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        I have a landlord who wants a list of all our tenants phone numbers and email addresses for properties we manage for him (around 30 houses). This is so he can arrange repairs with them directly. They are to be given a new email address to contact for repairs, taking us out of the loop.
        If you are providing a management service, you would still charge your fee unless the LL ended his management arrangement with you, which normally requires some notice. The LL is perfectly entitled to do this if he chooses.

If you aren't providing a management service, there is nothing for you to lose.

So what loop, exactly, are you being taken out of?

Comment

The loop of being aware of repairs in the houses.
          Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            The loop of being aware of repairs in the houses.
            Agree to landlords requests, but point out you must be advised of
            all the repairs to be done, then those that have been completed,
            because you are managing the properties on his behalf, and the first
            point of contact for the tenents, are yourselves.

The tenants are obliged and are free to contact yourselves to ask when
            are the repairs going to take place, or complain that they have not been done,
            and you as managing the properties MUST know whats going on, otherwise
            it will put you in a bad light if you know absolutely nothing about the repairs,
            cannot answer simple questions, which will then put you in a bad possition
            and then put the landlord in a bad light.

The tenants could then say, why am i paying rent to the letting agent when
            they don't have a clue about my repairs, "are they not interested" ?

He wont like that, but you are managing the properties, so you have to know
            whats going on.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              Berlingogirl
              This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
              27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              MrShed

I'm assuming you are posting this for a laugh
              27-07-2017, 14:22 PM
            • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
              nukecad
              I'm surprised that you are even asking, it's obviously some kind of scam.

At the very least phishing for your personal contact details.

"British America Business man" who can't spell 'American' or even write English properly? - "my personal assistance and he...
              27-07-2017, 14:11 PM
            • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Pb21
              Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
              25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
            • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              John Duff
              Following on from my last post, had the tenant not informed the police and landlord at the time, they would have failed in their duty. I therefore would expect the tenant to foot the bill at the end of the tenancy or sooner.
              27-07-2017, 13:45 PM
            • Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              Hi there, I've also been looking into the office of fair trading as nobody has said whether you believe that E.on or that LCS have acted is the correct manner when looking into a debt. well I have found out this piece of information and would like to know your thoughts and views if its correct and I'm...
              27-07-2017, 13:30 PM
              John Duff
              Criminal damage not connected with the tenant occurred during the tenancy and was reported as such at the time. It is not the case that the tenant caused or was responsible for loss of value beyond wear and tear.

I'm just stating my view which appears to be backed up from sources other...
              27-07-2017, 13:15 PM
              jpkeates
              If the tenancy ended and the lock was broken, it would be a loss in value beyond fair wear and tear and I'd expect the tenant to compensate the landlord for it.
              Same as any other damage.

What's different about it during the tenancy?
              27-07-2017, 13:03 PM
              John Duff
              Yes, they have a duty of care but not the same responsibilities as a lease/freeholder.

If I was the tenant, I'd refuse to pay. This is assuming I hadn't been grossly negligent and had reported the damage at the earliest opportunity to both the police and the landlord. I would expect a TDS...
              27-07-2017, 12:55 PM
            Working...
            X