• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S21

Hi all
    I doing an S21 for a tenant
    He moved in on the 1st June 2011
    Whats the earliest date the S21 should expire?
    Thanks

OK, I'm a relative novice but I think I have a pretty good understanding of this area (and if I get it wrong then I'm sure someone will correct me), so here goes:

Firstly, a S21 doesn't expire unless you get the tenant to start a new tenancy agreement after the initial AST. If you just let the tenancy carry on and become a statutory periodic tenancy then the S21 remains valid and can be enforced whenever you like (with appropriate notice). I've been advised that you should always serve a S21 2-3 months before the end of an AST, just to cover your own back, even if you don't actually want the tenant to leave. (I haven't followed this advice myself yet, largely because I want my tenants, who are lovely, to stay for as long as possible, and I'm a little anxious that they might be offended by the serving of a S21.)

Anyway, assuming that it's a 6-month AST and that the rent is due on the 1st of the month, the original term would end on 30th Nov/1st Dec (depending on whether the tenancy started at midnight or noon on the 1st). However, you have to serve the S21 at least two months prior to that date so you've missed the deadline and hence cannot end the tenancy until the next rent payment falls due, i.e. 31st Dec/1st Jan. In order to do that, you need to make sure that the notice is served by 31st Oct at the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by lynneinjapan View Post
      OK, I'm a relative novice but I think I have a pretty good understanding of this area (and if I get it wrong then I'm sure someone will correct me), so here goes:

Firstly, a S21 doesn't expire unless you get the tenant to start a new tenancy agreement after the initial AST. If you just let the tenancy carry on and become a statutory periodic tenancy then the S21 remains valid and can be enforced whenever you like (with appropriate notice). I've been advised that you should always serve a S21 2-3 months before the end of an AST, just to cover your own back, even if you don't actually want the tenant to leave. (I haven't followed this advice myself yet, largely because I want my tenants, who are lovely, to stay for as long as possible, and I'm a little anxious that they might be offended by the serving of a S21.)

Anyway, assuming that it's a 6-month AST and that the rent is due on the 1st of the month, the original term would end on 30th Nov/1st Dec (depending on whether the tenancy started at midnight or noon on the 1st). However, you have to serve the S21 at least two months prior to that date so you've missed the deadline and hence cannot end the tenancy until the next rent payment falls due, i.e. 31st Dec/1st Jan. In order to do that, you need to make sure that the notice is served by 31st Oct at the latest.
      Not exactly. I think in the case of a section 21, (1)(b) only 2 months notice needs to be given - I cannot see any reference to the end of a period as is the case with a Section 21 (4)(a) - the notice simply needs to expire giving at least 2 months notice.
      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Originally posted by medlock View Post
        I doing an S21 for a tenant
        He moved in on the 1st June 2011
        Whats the earliest date the S21 should expire?
        It depends on when the fixed term expires. And if the fixed term has already expired we also need to know the frequency with which rent is payable.

Comment

Originally posted by lynneinjapan View Post
          Anyway, assuming that it's a 6-month AST and that the rent is due on the 1st of the month, the original term would end on 30th Nov/1st Dec (depending on whether the tenancy started at midnight or noon on the 1st).
          It would be highly inadvisable for any landlord to create a fixed term commencing at noon.

However, you have to serve the S21 at least two months prior to that date so you've missed the deadline and hence cannot end the tenancy until the next rent payment falls due, i.e. 31st Dec/1st Jan.
          No.

If a s.21 notice is served during the fixed term, it need only give T at least two months, and cannot expire before the end of the fixed term. It does not have to expire at the end of a tenancy period (N.B. not the same as a rental period); this only applies to s.21 notices served during a periodic tenancy. Assuming the fixed term does expire on 30th November, then if LL served notice today, 11th October, the earliest the notice could expire would be "after 11th December 2011".

Nor does the s.21 notice "end the tenancy" at notice expiry. It merely entitles the LL to apply for possession after notice expiry.

See section 21 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/21
          and section 5(2) - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/5

Comment

2 Full Calender Months

If i expire the s21 2 months and 1 day from today, would this give 2 months notice? (expiration 12th Dec 2010)

Or because the tenancy starts on the 1st June, would i have to give 2 full calender months notice?

Thereby meaning expiration would be the 2nd January 2012

Comment

If i expire the s21 2 months and 1 day from today, would this give 2 months notice? (expiration 12th Dec 2010)

Or because the tenancy starts on the 1st June, would i have to give 2 full calender months notice?

See post #4.

When does the fixed term expire?

Comment

This depends on the date of service. If the date of service is within the fixed term then the expiry date is the later of:
                - 2 months after the day of service
                - last day of the fixed term

If the date of service is after the end of the fixed term, then you must give a minimum of 2 months notice and the 'expiry date' must be the last day of a tenancy period.

Comment

So going back to my post

Its a 6 month contract, expiring the 1st Dec 2010

So giving 2 months notice is fine right? I'm sure i read on here somewhere that we have to give 2 calender months

Comment

So going back to my post

So giving 2 months notice is fine right? I'm sure i read on here somewhere that we have to give 2 calender months
                    If tenant moved in 1 June for 6 months, expiry would be 30 Nov. Does the agreement specifically say that the end date is 1st December?

Either way, a section 21(1)(b) notice served before 4:30 today would expire "after 13th December 2011".

If served after 4:30 it counts as the following day for service
                    You don't count the day of service in the 2 months
                    The period end does not matter for a s21(1)(b).
                    a court shall make an order for possession of the dwelling-house if it is satisfied— . . . (b)the landlord or, in the case of joint landlords, at least one of them has given to the tenant not less than two months’ notice in writing stating that he requires possession of the dwelling-house.

Comment

So going back to my post

A s.21(1)(b) notice must give at least two calendar months, as from the date of deemed service.

If you deliver by hand on a business day before 4.30pm, the notice is deemed served that day.
                      If delivered after 4.30pm or at the weekend, the notice is deemed served on the next business day.
                      If the notice is posted first class, the notice is deemed served two business days later.
                      (A business day is Mon-Fri, excluding Bank Holidays)

So, work out when the notice will be deemed served, and add (at least) two months from that date; e.g. if deemed served on 17th October, then the earliest expiry would be "after 17th December 2011".

Don't write a date of service on the notice, just get evidence of service (take a witness if delivering by hand, or get a free certificate of posting).

Comment

Ok, ive just done it

I've allowed a few extra days for postage

Expires after the 15th Dec 2011

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                          BlueMystery
                          I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
                          26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                          KTC
                          That ....
                          26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
                        • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                          Paul4321
                          Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                          20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                        • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                          KTC
                          A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
                          26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
                        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                          MrShed
                          I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
                          26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
                        • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                          IoIo
                          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                          26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                          MrShed
                          Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
                          - Subletting
                          - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
                          - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
                          26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
                        • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                          Logical.Lean
                          I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
                          Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
                          26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
                        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                          Wright76
                          I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
                          26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
                        • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                          purpleangel
                          Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
                        Working...
                        X