Local Housing Allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Housing Allowance

Following the negative comments here last time I posted on this subject, I attended a meeting with my local authority about LHA. Not only were all the landlords and agents present totally against it but the Housing Benefit representatives also felt that it was a bad idea.
    One of the main problems is that LHA will be paid into a tenant's bank account, one of the landlords present suggested that tenants open a joint basic account with the landlord. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Also, can anyone in the pilot areas tell me whether it is possible for the tenant to nominate a bank account not in their name..........like mine for example.

I was fortunate enough to have a tenant in substantial arrears and had issued a small claims to have her get her act together they then requested my own details and have been paying it directly to me ever since. Im £120 out of pocket but at least my money comes directly from the council.

Comment

I know that, as now, if the tenant goes two months in arrears, the LA will pay the landlord direct but that still leaves two months rent gone. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Comment

We had exactly the same thought when LHA was first introduced in our area and came to the conclusion that the council aren't stupid and would see through our plan to get around LHA. We never actually tried it however and if you were only dealing with a small number of claims you might get away with it. We are dealing with 150+ claims so didn't think the council would fall for it.

Comment

You won't know until you try it, though .. it's uncharted territory and some LA's may not be clued up enough to say "no" - so what have you got to lose?

As a tenant I think it's a bad idea too, LL's .. I would much rather my HB is paid direct to the LL rather than me having to go to the bank every 2 weeks to get cash, or put it in my bank and wait for clearance which is sometimes impossible due to illness or hospitalisation. That way I KNOW the LL has been paid and it's one less cash flow worry for me.

In fact, that may be a point to argue, if any of you have tenants on Disabiloity / Incapacity benefit and they have difficulty in getting to the bank themselves - if you have their permission, you'd be doing a social service (and no, I'm not taking the proverbial - I'm being serious
          Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by pippay View Post
            In fact, that may be a point to argue, if any of you have tenants on Disabiloity / Incapacity benefit and they have difficulty in getting to the bank themselves - if you have their permission, you'd be doing a social service (and no, I'm not taking the proverbial - I'm being serious
            There is provision for mental incapacity but not, in the paperwork I have received so far, for physical problems.

Comment

It is still worth arguing because a physical condition can just as easily prevent someone from physically getting to the bank (can't walk; in hospital etc.) as a mental condition; and in fact it is somewhat a better scenario as they would be giving their permission for you to be paid directly, whilst in sound mind.

Just because it doesn't say so in the rules, doesn't mean you can't set a precedent by trying. The worst they can say is NO !! !!

Originally posted by MrWoof View Post
              There is provision for mental incapacity but not, in the paperwork I have received so far, for physical problems.
              Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X