Quick one - Tenancy Renewal - can you be an early bird?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick one - Tenancy Renewal - can you be an early bird?

Hello guys,

When a tenancy draws to the end of its fixed term, is it feasible or acceptable in the eyes of law, to have the parties sign a new agreement, say 1 or 2 months before the fixed term end date?

The new renewed Tenancy agreement is still dated the day after the end of the previous one, as normal... but the date it is actually signed will be one or two months prior to it taking effect.

...or must the renewed contract be signed on the same date it is effective from?

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you

There is no reason why a new agreement should not be signed before the current one expires. If you do this the agreement should not be post-dated. The agreement should provide for the new term to start on the day after the current one expires.

Comment

Or the other option, do not renew at all and let the tenancy become periodic!

Comment

Thanks guys,

@Lawcruncher:
        when you say should not be post-dated are you referring to the date you write next to your signature?

So an acceptable example would be:

End of current fixed term: 9th December 2011
        As of today, 7th October, new agreement drawn up with start date: 10th December 2011 - tenant and landlord sign on the dotted line today, writing the 7th October next to their signatures.

perfectly valid?

Comment

Originally posted by templar018080 View Post
          Thanks guys,

@Lawcruncher:
          when you say should not be post-dated are you referring to the date you write next to your signature?

So an acceptable example would be:

End of current fixed term: 9th December 2011
          As of today, 7th October, new agreement drawn up with start date: 10th December 2011 - tenant and landlord sign on the dotted line today, writing the 7th October next to their signatures.

perfectly valid?
          More or less, yes.

The date of an agreement and the date someone signs it are not necessarily the same thing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
            vpltd
            Hi,
            Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
            (A residential let in England.)
            VPL.
            11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
          • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
            jpkeates
            Except that the repossession order doesn't actually end the tenancy either, it simply says that it must end.
            Then, either the tenant has to surrender the property to comply with the order or the order has to be executed by bailiifs.
            Which actually ends the tenancy.

So the court...
            22-08-2017, 12:59 PM
            StuartH
            Which came first, the chicken, or the egg? ...
            22-08-2017, 12:55 PM
            StuartH
            I'm pretty unlikely to agree with anything you write, as a matter of general principle; and certainly, see no value in debating why. I wish you a good afternoon....
            22-08-2017, 12:52 PM
            KTC
            Let's try to construct that piece of legislation.

(1) & (2) can stand on its own. There's no inconsistence to prevent accepting that a tenant leaving after receiving a s21 before/without court is leaving "as a result of the service of a notice". The bit some have difficuities...
            22-08-2017, 12:14 PM
            jpkeates
            The legislation the says that also says that it must happen at a hearing that is impossible.

It has to happen at a repossession hearing when the tenancy has ended as a "result" of a s21 (and ended during a tenancy period to require a rebate).

The only possible scenario...
            22-08-2017, 10:20 AM
            Wright76
            It's perfectly simple. Either you accept the tenancy ended as a result of the section 21 or don't.

By taking the keys back and control of the property you are somehow accepting the surrender. Now, if you have no written notice from the tenant or deed of surrender your most definitely accepting...
            22-08-2017, 09:59 AM
          • S21 and refunds
            tatemono
            Because the poor old OP of THIS THREAD has seen it derailed by a long but nevertheless valid debate/argument/discussion about the interpretation of law, I've started a new thread because the discussion has raised some questions I'd like answers to.

Say I have a tenant, whose AST started...
            18-08-2017, 05:52 AM
          • Reply to S21 and refunds
            tatemono
            er... perhaps pedant would be more apropros ...
            22-08-2017, 09:39 AM
          • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
            james99
            Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
            16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
          Working...
          X