Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hot water

Hello,
    The boiler in my flat has stopped working - so we have no hot water or heating - the heating is not an issue at the moment but how long, legally, can my landlord leave us without hot water?
    Thanks

Well he needs to do something quickly - but if it were your own property and you were paying for it, it would take several days to get a qualified plumber (if it's gas he can't use just any old guy). Then there may be parts to order.

So it might be kettles and pans on the hob for a good few days yet.

There is no legal length of time the landlord can leave you without hot water, indeed section 11 of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act says he has to maintain the supply - and right now the suply isn't being maintained (continued) but the courts realise that such things can't be fixed with the click of the fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      Well he needs to do something quickly - but if it were your own property and you were paying for it, it would take several days to get a qualified plumber (if it's gas he can't use just any old guy). Then there may be parts to order.

So it might be kettles and pans on the hob for a good few days yet.

There is no legal length of time the landlord can leave you without hot water, indeed section 11 of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act says he has to maintain the supply - and right now the suply isn't being maintained (continued) but the courts realise that such things can't be fixed with the click of the fingers.
      The whole reasonable man test. I personally think, assuming parts are not required, that anything longer than 5 days to a week is pretty unacceptable.
      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

I didn't put a figure on it, but MrJohnnyB's 5-7 days seems about right.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
          vpltd
          Hi,
          Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
          (A residential let in England.)
          VPL.
          11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
        • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
          jjlandlord
          You made a claim. You tell us.

It was claimed that a tenant may freely leave whenever he pleases once he has received a s.21notice. If that was indeed the case you can imagine the mess with all those precautionary notices....
          18-08-2017, 12:43 PM
        • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
          Wright76
          I totally agree, I was just trying to find any justification for claims that a tenant must serve notice in return of a section 21. It could never ever be demanded within the 2 month notice period, and in my opinion I agree it couldn't be demanded thereafter. But JJlandlord is adamant that requirement...
          18-08-2017, 12:40 PM
        • Lying tenant
          mazco
          We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
          In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
          18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
        • Reply to Lying tenant
          JK0
          Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
          18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
        • Reply to Lying tenant
          jpkeates
          The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
          It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
          That's the tenant's money.
          18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
        • Reply to Lying tenant
          mazco
          Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
          18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
        • Reply to Lying tenant
          jpkeates
          And, of course, this....
          18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
        • Reply to Lying tenant
          jpkeates
          There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
          If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
          If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
          18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
        • Reply to Lying tenant
          JK0
          I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
          18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
        Working...
        X