Digital tv aerial - rental property - is this the land lords responsibility?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Digital tv aerial - rental property - is this the land lords responsibility?

    I moved into a rental property a little over three months ago and so far have been unable to watch " live tv ". I am a BT Vision customer therefore a digital aerial is essential.

    When I moved in there was already an aerial installed at the property, located on the roof. After following all the usual steps to install the equipment I was unable to view.

    I called BT who advised me that the aerial was probably not a digital ready one and would therefore require replacement.

    I contacted the letting agent and initially they said it was the landlords responsibility.When I heard nothing back I contacted them again. They advised me that the land lord had stated the signal is very poor in this location. I purchased a signal booster and co ax splitter as have an older style tv. All efforts proved fruitless and now the digital switchover has occurred a signal booster us useless anyway.

    It was my belief that if the aerial was already installed at the property the responsibility for it lies with the landlord. Is this the case or is it likely I am going to have to remedy the situation myself which I can ill afford to do?

    All thoughts most welcome

    There is no statutory obligation for the LL to upgrade the TV aerial. Nor could you do it yourself without the LL's consent to make this alteration.

    If you were told that the property had a digital aerial or it was advertised as having one, then the LL may have a contractual obligation to upgrade it.


      What does the property advert/tenancy agreement and/or the inventory say about TV aerial, if anything ?? e.g. If it says "aerial socket provided, no warranty" then I think you may have a problem.

      Have you asked immediate neighbours what they do?? i.e. if there is a problem in that area with digital signals that would put a different aspect on thinks...
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
        by Moderator2

        Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

        Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
        1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
        18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
      • Tenant references are a joke.
        by Hooper
        I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

        I got two replies two days apart.

        The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
        17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
      • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
        by jpkeates
        The underlay is the key.
        At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
        18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
      • Typical lifetime of carpets
        by davett
        I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
        17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
      • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
        by jpucng62
        Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
        18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
      • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
        by jpkeates
        There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
        The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
        If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
        18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
      • MCOL & PCOL
        by OS7
        Hello Everyone,

        Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
        04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
      • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
        by AndrewDod
        Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

        Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
        18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
      • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
        by Hooper
        Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
        18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
      • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
        by Hooper
        With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
        18-09-2021, 12:10 PM