Would you rent to ex armed forces with guaranteed HB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rent to ex armed forces with guaranteed HB?

Hello,

I'm new here. My husband and I are 'reluctant landlords' due to the housing market - we have been trying to sell our 2 bed terrace for 2 years. Due to a new addition (Child number 3) our property has been up to let with an agent for two weeks and we have had two viewers.

Agent has returned to us to say one of the viewers would like our property. However, the snag is the young couple (with a 2 year old child) are ex armed forces who are both unemployed. The local council approached the agent and said they are willing to pay the agents admin fee (£180), bond (£525) and montly rent (£425) for this couple until one of them finds employment. They will put this in writing.

Would any of you advise if this sounds risky? I met the man and he seemed lovely to be honest but my husband is unsure due to the fact they are unemployed? I'm a bit more liberal and think if the council will put in writing a guarantee to pay the rent then we should be fine. Any advice/ anyone with similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ultimately, no one can answer your question but you. There are millions of benefit claimants, so saying an outright 'no' is a rather narrow minded viewpoint, and I'm sure many ex-servicemen deserve our undying gratitude. However, this page outlines some of the things you may want to consider: http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._benefits/0-54

Comment

Thank you. That link was very helpful. I suppose because we're new to this we don't want to make any naive decisions but going on my gut instinct I'd say the couple will be good tenants. We might not be the greatest landlords though, with our novice ways!

Comment

Originally posted by emmy1979 View Post
        We might not be the greatest landlords though, with our novice ways!
        Pick up a book from Amazon along the lines of "An Idiots Guide to being a Landlord", cost you well under £20 and save you alienating good tenants by accidentally being bad landlords.

Comment

Or read Landlordzone for 10 minutes every night before you go to bed!
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

glad I am not the only one who does that
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by emmy1979 View Post
              Would any of you advise if this sounds risky?.
              The first rule of letting should be :-

You let to people who are in full time jobs, AND can afford the rent.

Then you go down the list till you get to people who do not work
              and cannot afford the rent.
              Why would you want to rent to people who cannot affort to pay you rent ?
              as that is what you are considering.
              ( no arguments, please about LHA, as we all know they wont pay the full
              rent if it is over the rates in the "rents table" they have on their desk. And
              LHA claimemnts shows they cannot afford the rent.)

Only as a last resort, you are in dire straights, should you consider someone
              who cannot afford to pay the rent from their wages.

If you are new landlords, take step one first ( working people ), then
              read the tales of horror on here about thoae who don't work.
              ( Yes, we know there are horrors on here evenwhen people work full time,
              but best to be safe in your infancy of "renting" -- yes ?

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                BlueMystery
                I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
                26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
              • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                KTC
                That ....
                26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
              • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                Paul4321
                Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                KTC
                A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
                26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
              • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                MrShed
                I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
                26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
              • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                IoIo
                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                MrShed
                Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
                - Subletting
                - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
                - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
                26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                Logical.Lean
                I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
                Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
                26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                Wright76
                I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
                26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
              • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                purpleangel
                Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
              Working...
              X