Tenant has noisy neighbours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant has noisy neighbours

A tenant of mine mentioned the other day that she was having trouble with noise from late-night revelry in the house next door. She wasn't complaining to me as such, but (a) she might do so in future and (b) if it persists she might decide to leave, which would be a shame as she's a good tenant.

However, in the first instance, I was wondering what my obligations were here: neither she nor I know anything about next door, even whether they are owners or tenants. Is it legally down to me as her landlord to sort it out, or is this something for householders to do themselves, regardless of whether they are a tenant or an owner occupier?

I don't see how you could be held responsible for sorting it out as you have no authority whatsover over a property that you don't own.

I would imagine she would have to keep a log of the times and dates it happens and get in touch with the Ennvironmental Health Dept. and ask them to intervene.
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

You can find out who owns the property by asking the land registry, for a fee of (I think) £2.00 they will send you details. If the house is owned by a multiple landlord they sometimes send addresses of other properties owned by that landlord too.
      If it is tenanted, contact the landlord, point out that their tenant is probably in breach of their agreement. If not then get your tenant to contact the local environmental health. They will send a pack containing diary paperwork and instructions. It isn't your problem directly but having dealt with this on behalf of a tenant, I found that dealing with it myself reassured the tenant that their name would be kept out of proceedings. It helps also if there are other neighbours who are prepared to keep noise diaries.

Comment

It's £3 now for a copy of the title information and £3 for a copy of the plan.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X