AST Renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST Renewal

I let out a property (house) on a 6 month AST.

Say it was let on 10th of January.

What would be the start date for a renewal tenancy for the same tenant, if we sign it before the end of the 6 months? Would it be 10th July or 11th July?

And would it make any difference, if the tenancy has becomes periodic and then we decide to sign a new 6 month tenancy?
    So say we want to sign a 6 month AST in September, what would the start date needs to be?

Can we just sign a new AST or do we need to do something else?

Your original AST would run from 10 Jan to 9 July. Therefore the next one (or SPT) would commence on the 10th July.

If the tenancy goes periodic, it is simplest to ensure any future ASTs commence on the 10th, because each SPT 'period' will last for a full month (presuming rent due monthly). There is no legal reason why you have to do this, but if you have a new AST commencing on the 20th then you have the complication of rent for the period 10th to 19th.

The new document would be a standard AST, nothing special needs to be done with it.

Comment

Thanks. The reason I want a new 6 Month AST, is to have added security of knowing the tenant will be there for another 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
        Thanks. The reason I want a new 6 Month AST, is to have added security of knowing the tenant will be there for another 6 months.
        Worth bearing in mind that you can't force a new AST upon your tenant. If tenant doesn't want to sign up, they a SPT automatically comes into force. Maybe offer some incentive to encourage a 6 month commitment?

Comment

Thanks. They are also happy to sign.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
            by jpkeates
            Thanks for the update, good to know.
            30-11-2021, 10:05 AM
          • MCOL & PCOL
            by OS7
            Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
            04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
          • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
            by OS7
            Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
            30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
          • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
            by AndrewDod
            Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
            29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
          • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
            by Bert1e
            Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
            28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
          • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
            by jpkeates
            There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
            That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
            29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
          • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
            by Mr. Sparkle
            About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
            29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
          • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
            by theartfullodger
            No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
            https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
            29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
          Working...
          X