AST Renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AST Renewal

I let out a property (house) on a 6 month AST.

Say it was let on 10th of January.

What would be the start date for a renewal tenancy for the same tenant, if we sign it before the end of the 6 months? Would it be 10th July or 11th July?

And would it make any difference, if the tenancy has becomes periodic and then we decide to sign a new 6 month tenancy?
    So say we want to sign a 6 month AST in September, what would the start date needs to be?

Can we just sign a new AST or do we need to do something else?

Your original AST would run from 10 Jan to 9 July. Therefore the next one (or SPT) would commence on the 10th July.

If the tenancy goes periodic, it is simplest to ensure any future ASTs commence on the 10th, because each SPT 'period' will last for a full month (presuming rent due monthly). There is no legal reason why you have to do this, but if you have a new AST commencing on the 20th then you have the complication of rent for the period 10th to 19th.

The new document would be a standard AST, nothing special needs to be done with it.

Comment

Thanks. The reason I want a new 6 Month AST, is to have added security of knowing the tenant will be there for another 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
        Thanks. The reason I want a new 6 Month AST, is to have added security of knowing the tenant will be there for another 6 months.
        Worth bearing in mind that you can't force a new AST upon your tenant. If tenant doesn't want to sign up, they a SPT automatically comes into force. Maybe offer some incentive to encourage a 6 month commitment?

Comment

Thanks. They are also happy to sign.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Jcg76
            I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
            Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
            24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Jcg76
            Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
            He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
            Can anyone...
            25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
          • Tenant application form
            Elum
            Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
            25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
          • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
            aciduzzo
            I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
            25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
          • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
            aciduzzo
            I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
            25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            leaseholder64
            It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
            25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
          • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
            scooter08
            Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
            I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
            25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
          • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
            scooter08
            I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
            25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
            25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
          Working...
          X