Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy coming to on end , Want to sell property

Hi
    I have let my property through a Letting Agent on Assured tenancy, 12 months. This will end on 10 October, I want to put property on the market. So I will be giving a 2 months notice at the end of contract, with a view of giving tenant a 2 month rolling contract. I understand this a 'periodic tenancy'
    The letting agent has suggested not to give notice, just let the present agreement to run out,( which I assume would make the tenancy a 'periodic tenancy'?)and give two months notice once the sale is finalised.
    The tenants have been good so far, so i would rather be upfront with them. I would be grateful for any thoughts on any possible advantages or disadvantages of Agent's advice.
    Also what rights do the tenant and landlord have under a periodic tenancy, regrading possession , moving out etc.
    thanks
    Lou

My understanding is LL needs to give T's 2 months notice after the fixed term has expired.

T's on the other hand only need to give the LL 1 month notice after the fixed term has expired if they pay rent monthly.

Comment

Originally posted by llou View Post
      Hi
      I have let my property through a Letting Agent on Assured tenancy, 12 months. This will end on 10 October, I want to put property on the market. So I will be giving a 2 months notice at the end of contract, with a view of giving tenant a 2 month rolling contract. I understand this a 'periodic tenancy'
      It might be better to serve the tenants a S21(1)(b) now, before the tenancy comes to an end. It will need to run for 2 months from the date of service, It is not a notice to quit, it simply allows you to apply to the court for a possession order if you need to. The S21(1)(b) can be issued at any time during the tenancy and can run to any date after the fixed term ends

The tenancy will become a SPT on the first day after the fixed term runs out.

You do not have to act on the S21 unless you need to, so it would be a good idea to speak to your tenants and find out what their plans are and make it easier for them to find a new home. (in other words give a little, gain a lot.)

The tenants will still need to give you a one month notice they are leaving which should end on the last day of a tenancy period.

Do not grant the tenants any sort of extension to their tenancy because you would be running the risk of invalidating your notice.
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

The court process to obtain possession once your s21 has run out will be round 4/6 weeks. After that the judge will give the tenants 2-6 weeks to vacate. If they don't, you will need to organise bailiffs - expect another 6 weeks.

Can you afford a 4 month delay once you find a buyer? If not, it may be best to commence the eviction process ASAP and have a vacant property that can be sold without hinderance or delay.

One idea to help the situation would be to offer to fund the tenants removal costs - you arrange the van for the expiry date of the section 21 notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
          Bounce
          Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
          Black Grout they want me to get redone...
          17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
        • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
          Bounce
          In regards to this, I attended the property today with a plumber, as he tenants claimed they had tried using some sink unblocker and plunger etc...

When we were shown the sink she now decides to tell us that since using the sink unblocker it doesn't seem to bad (she could have told me this...
          19-01-2018, 23:13 PM
        • Joint tenancy - end fixed term
          Nottinverno
          Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
          I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
          09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
        • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
          KTC
          Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
          19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
        • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
          Nottinverno
          Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
          It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
          19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
        • Payment Break
          OlliesDad
          I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
          18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
        • Reply to Payment Break
          royw
          You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
          19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
        • Tenants not vacated at check-out
          tatemono
          Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
          09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
        • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
          KTC
          If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
          19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
        • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
          buzzard1994
          But the notice wasn't valid because the tenant did not give up possession. The notice is an intention to end the tenancy but the tenant remains in possession so they did not end the tenancy. If it was the end of a fixed term that would be different....
          19-01-2018, 22:06 PM
        Working...
        X