• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by kipper View Post
    is ground for eviction 17 valid in the uk,
    Ground 17 is in Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988, entitled 'Grounds for Possession of Dwelling-houses let on Assured Tenancies'. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/schedule/2

HA1988 only applies to assured [shorthold] tenancies in England/Wales.

can anyone tell me if they have used this, think it relates to tenant lying on application for contract, ie saying they were working when they were not
    Yes, it would apply to a tenant lying on the application form for a tenancy.

As you will see on the above link, Ground 17 says:

The tenant is the person, or one of the persons, to whom the tenancy was granted and the landlord was induced to grant the tenancy by a false statement made knowingly or recklessly by—
    (a) the tenant, or
    (b) a person acting at the tenant’s instigation.

It's a discretionary ground, meaning that the court is not obliged to make a possession order even if you prove your case.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    It is only valid in England & Wales and is a 'discretionary' ground - the judge will make a decision whether the issue is serious enough to warrant making the tenant homeless.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Yes, it's one of the grounds for eviction using the section 8 procedure under the Housing Act 1988. If the tenant has lied on the contract it looks prima facie applicable, but I am unaware of if there are any cases on its use.

Leave a comment:

• kipper
    started a topic ground 17

ground 17

is ground for eviction 17 valid in the uk, can anyone tell me if they have used this, think it relates to tenant lying on application for contract, ie saying they were working when they were not

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X