I have a money order and have found the tenants - what can i do now pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a money order and have found the tenants - what can i do now pls

Hi, I had a tenant who did not pay rent and left us owing just under £3000. We issued a S8 Notice and went to court early December 2010, the tenant did not show up at court and we got our eviction and a money order for rent owed. The tenant did not leave on the court ordered date but did leave 6 weeks later, just before the bailiffs turned up.
    However, we have located them and found out they are doing the same thing with the new landlord.
    When we first found out the new address we tried to take out a third party debt order - but the court ordered it for the old address (our address)!! which they had left 5 months earlier. I phoned the banks third party debt order department and they helped me by telling me that there was a closed account at the new address - so that was no good.
    Can anyone tell me how best to go from here. I am corresponding with the new landlord and we can work together - but not sure what to do. I was thinking of taking out an order for the tenant to come to court to give their information - most likely she will not turn up (this would mean they could be arrested for not attending court) and will do a runner from where they are now - if they did that I wondered if I found out there new address again could they be arrested at the new address and we might get somewhere then.
    I want, as much as anything, to put a stop to what this tenant seems to be doing to landlords. I understand as well that the new landlord did a credit check on the tenant which came back fine - how can this happen when I am getting bailiff letters by the dozen daily for this person - and i had a court order against them?
    If anyone can give me advice I would be really grateful.

Does this tenant work or have assets like a car not on HP?

If not there is little point in trying to squeeze the £3000 out of them. If tenant is working you can get the debt paid from their wages in instalments but you need to know the employer and get a court order to set this up. I don't think you are going to get this person arrested unless they commit a far more serious offence - like murder.

As for new landlord I suggest he asks for his money back from tenant check agency and shows your court order as proof!
    Sometimes it is just better to move. You and others may disagree.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I do not think the tenant works (she gave me work documents but I think they were rubbish because i since tried to contact the workplace and it was a home address) - husband is self employed but he is not the signed up tenant. And I dont think they have any assets - which i think is done purposely because of what she is doing.
      I understand we may be throwing good money after bad (and we cant afford it), but surely this cant just be left to carry on like this.
      We also cant use moneyclaimonline because we already have a court order.

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
      Does this tenant work or have assets like a car not on HP?

If not there is little point in trying to squeeze the £3000 out of them. If tenant is working you can get the debt paid from their wages in instalments but you need to know the employer and get a court order to set this up. I don't think you are going to get this person arrested unless they commit a far more serious offence - like murder.

As for new landlord I suggest he asks for his money back from tenant check agency and shows your court order as proof!
      Sometimes it is just better to move. You and others may disagree.

Comment

You can ask for the claim to be transferred to your local court and then once it is there you can apply for attachment of earnings (not applicable here), a third party debt order (freeze the bank) or organise bailiffs - although you can do that with MCOL.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X