Extractor Fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extractor Fans

Does anyone know what the legal situation with extractor fans is?

I ask as I have an open plan kitchen/living room and am wondering whether there should be an extractor fan in this room.

There also isn't one present in the bathroom which is surprising.

Does the bathroom have a window? If so, it does not need an extractor fan. If you experience ventilation problems then by all means fit an extractor and make sure that there is adequate heating.

Comment

No the bathroom doesn't have a window. Does that mean there needs to be an extractor fan installed?

Comment

Well, there is no law for the scenario you mention. However if you want to avoid complaints from tenants and potential damage then make sure the bathroom is adequately ventilated and heated - whatever that takes (eg any combination of extractor fan, air brick, radiator, electric bar heater, opening the door)

Out of interest, was your property a one bedroom flat with separate kitchen, but been "developed" into a two bedroom flat with integrated living room and kitchen? Hate that trend.

Comment

I am the tenant so unsure of the flat's appearance before moving in.

I have had many issues with the landlord and the propert and am trying to make a list of responable repairs.

The bathroom steams up and I was unsure whether the landlord needed to have a fan in their or not. We have a heater thou.

thanks for your help

Comment

Oops!

I now associate you with the rather long posts.

Comment

Originally posted by daniellepace19 View Post
              Does anyone know what the legal situation with extractor fans is?

I ask as I have an open plan kitchen/living room and am wondering whether there should be an extractor fan in this room.

There also isn't one present in the bathroom which is surprising.
              This is a Building Regulations issue... in a new build, or in an older property where there is change of room use where a room becomes a bathroom or kitchen, then in both cases an extractor fan would be required by law. Nothing to do with whether the property is rented or not.

I don't know off the top of my head when the rule came in, but it certainly isn't retrospective.

Comment

How would I find out if this building has undergone a room change?

right now I can't even get my Landlord's name and address!

Comment

Originally posted by daniellepace19 View Post
                  No the bathroom doesn't have a window. Does that mean there needs to be an extractor fan installed?

Yes!! If a bathroom has no window then it must have either 1) mechanical extraction or 2) If it is in a block of flats a communal ventilation system.If it is a refurb or new build then either 1 or 2 is a legal requirement under the Building Act(1984) which incorparates the Building Regs.In answer to one of the post's wither it is retrospective or not apparently it is.
                  Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help

Comment

Ring your local authority up and ask them to come and have a look at the flat. There are plenty of new enforcement procedures under the new Housing Act to get works done.

No ventilation in a bathroom would possibly classed as a category 1 hazard under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System and therefore the local authority have a duty to act, i.e serve notice on your landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by pms View Post
                        Yes!! If a bathroom has no window then it must have either 1) mechanical extraction or 2) If it is in a block of flats a communal ventilation system.If it is a refurb or new build then either 1 or 2 is a legal requirement under the Building Act(1984) which incorparates the Building Regs.In answer to one of the post's wither it is retrospective or not apparently it is.
                        No. If it's retrospective, then that means that the owner of every building in the country where there is no extractor in the bathroom or kitchen is breaking the law.

Same applies to all Building Regs - off the top of my head I can't think of any which are retrospective (but could be wrong).

I can confirm that having refurbished several properties, in each case the building control officers paid particular attention to whether there had been a change of use of the kitchen/bathroom, in respect of whether extractors were needed.

Comment

I have a sneaky feeling (but that's all it is) that if the bathroom has just the bath and sink but no loo, there is no requirement for a fan. AFAIK the requirement for a fan is to do with the loo rather than the washing facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by red40 View Post
                            Ring your local authority up and ask them to come and have a look at the flat. There are plenty of new enforcement procedures under the new Housing Act to get works done.

No ventilation in a bathroom would possibly classed as a category 1 hazard under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System and therefore the local authority have a duty to act, i.e serve notice on your landlord.
                            It would be a C1 hazard as lack of ventilation causes condensation then mould then spores are released causing many respitory problems.I would be interested to know if a bathroom has no ventilation who would be responsible for abating a mould problem(if one existed).Then of course there is the issue of a personal injury claims the list could go on....
                            Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Originally posted by pms View Post
                              It would be a C1 hazard as lack of ventilation causes condensation then mould then spores are released causing many respitory problems.
                              But would it? That is why i used the word 'possibly'.

The average for Hazard 1, Damp and mould growth under HHSRS is a liklihood of 1 in 400, The outcome percentages for class I (extreme harm) and II (severe harm) are 0% and 1% respectively, class III (serious harm) has a percentage of just over 7%, whereas class IV (warrant medical attention) is a massive 91.8%. Therefore you would have to change the likelihood to around 1 in 32 and increase the percentages for class II & III to the maximum to get it into bad C+.

Therefore could this be justifed, personally I think not, you would be lucky to get it as high as band E and therefore class 2 a power to Act.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
                                JP23
                                We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                                26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                              • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
                                I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
                                26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
                              • Tenant application form
                                Elum
                                Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
                                25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant application form
                                AndrewDod
                                You really need two forms.
                                a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
                                b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
                                25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                leaseholder64
                                I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
                                25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                              • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                                Stybdmy
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
                                24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
                              • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                                KTC
                                If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
                                25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                bergerac
                                Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
                                25-07-2017, 22:07 PM
                              Working...
                              X