Have I entered property illegally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any agent should at the least be familiar with the basics such as section 47 and 48 LTA 1987 and the tenants rights.

Can I suggest that you consider looking at the variety of training courses, even as refresher, or even ARLA membership. The RICS publish a guide for rent only residential premises which might be of help to you. Let the landlord respond perhaps in draft from you. The tenant does appear a little touchy, and often when the other side has acted reasonably is an indicator of other issues; or she is a "bunny boiler".

In this case if there were a dispute it would turn on the facts. If you exchanged texts agreeing to access that should overide any objection that is was not in writing. The tent could have texted you to say " change of plans" after all her mother knew.. on the other hand if you intended to use management keys you ought to have said" no it's ok we'll use ours".

That you left the property was the right thing to do, and when knocking you entered as you heard noises, the sister perhaps, which would be inconsistent with a: someone not answering to a known appointment.. b; the property being empty.

Although I take a robust view which most disagree with, it pays to be absolutely clear in your intentions and how you intend to access the property, and in my personal cases as well as business, hotel style laptop sized safes are always provided £65-£100 odd, so that valuables can be locked away.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X