digital tv

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digital tv

I've had an email from my tenant 'complaining' that she can only get 10 channels on her freeview box and hinting that she needs a new aerial which presumably she wants me to pay for.

Any suggestions on where I stand on this and what my response should be?

Scribbler

What does the tenancy agreement say?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

As thesaint say your Tenancy Agreement will confirm whether you have any legal obligation to maintain the TV aerial. I suggest your response should be "I wasn't aware that the TV reception was so bad, thank you for letting me know. Would you try unplugging your set-top box from the mains for 30seconds and go through the set-up again, and if you still only get 10 channels I will have a new aerial fitted within the next 7 days."

You do want tenants, don't you?

Comment

Whether tenant is asking for something you are legally obliged to provide is debatable, but I am in one of the first areas to switch to digital, and I had the aerial upgraded at my expense without quibble. Funnily enough, the latest tenant who moved in only a few months later, does not own a TV, but the wiring and socket are there for the next tenant, whenever that may be.

Atleast by doing it yourself, you can arrange a tradesman of your choice and have some control over the standard of work completed. Other option is to tell tenant NO, and they get their dad's best mate down the pub to climb up and put a new aerial in place, damaging your roof tiles in the process, and tacking a new coax cable down the wall, chipping the render and making a right shoddy mess of the job! Also, if tenant forks out for it, they are legally entitled to take it with them when they leave - Next tenant "Excuse me Mr Landlord, but I can only get 10 freeview channels on my TV" and so on!

For what it costs, think of it as an investment in your property!

Comment

That's a dangerous promise to make, Tacpot

Comment

If it is Ts own TV, suggest you take a small digital TV, tuned to all Free view channels and plug in to T's aerial, then see if aerial restricts channels. Any TV aerial eng will want to replace aerial for £100+ whether reqd or not. Has T recently moved from another transmitter area?

Comment

section 11 of Landlord & Tenant Act

I've had a look at the tenancy agreement. No mention of the aerial.

Looking at section 11 of the LTA 1985 it states the following:

11 Repairing obligations in short leases.

(1)In a lease to which this section applies (as to which, see sections 13 and 14) there is implied a covenant by the lessor—

(a)to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),

(b)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and

(c)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.
              No mention of telecoms or TV. Does this mean that the law does not consider important in terms of a landlords obligations or is it just a reflection that the legislation is now out of date. The fact that the tenant can receive 10 channels means that they do get a TV service but don't get all the ones that they could do if the aerial is replaced raises an interesting case. Your views very much appreciated.

Scribbler

Comment

If you are using an analogue aerial then during the 'in between period' when digital is switched on and before the analogue signal is switched off the reception is poor.
                Our TV's all jumped from 30 to 100+ channels as soon as the analogue signal was switched off and the digital one could run on full power.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                  That's a dangerous promise to make, Tacpot
                  In what way dangerous? There is no guarantee given that more than 10 TV channels will be received even with a good aerial?

Does the landlord know that the current TV aerial is good? I do, I had the signal tested when it was installed and verified that I could get lots of Freeview channels in the same way you describe - I took a known good set-top box to the property and proved it.

I suspect the OP does not know whether the aerial is any good. If their aerial chap comes and it turns out to be a faulty cable, not the aerial, I don't think the tenant is going to be worried if the aerial is not changed as they will be busy watching their 100 TV channels!

But by appearing to be willing to sort the problem out, the tenant knows that they have got a good landlord. Running to the Tenancy Agreement to "see where you stand" is penny-wise, pound-foolish IMO.

Comment

The switchover to digital is a two stage process: Firstly one of the analogue transmitters is switched off and other digital channels are re-arranged necessitating a re-tune.
                    A fortnight later the other analogue channels are switched off, the digital channels are re-arranged again and when this is done the digital transmitters are now be switched to full power. This could well enable your tenant to receive all the other digital channels so I suggest you wait until this happens before considering and further action.

P.P.
                    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

who can possibly need more than 10 channels???!!
                      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by tacpot View Post
                        But by appearing to be willing to sort the problem out, the tenant knows that they have got a good landlord. Running to the Tenancy Agreement to "see where you stand" is penny-wise, pound-foolish IMO.
                        +1, agree 100% too much on this board is regarding "is it my responsibility" rather than trying to foster good relationships with tenants.

I guess it rather depends what sector of the market your aiming at and I imagine the best landlords get the best tenants....

Comment

Originally posted by scribbler View Post
                          I've had a look at the tenancy agreement. No mention of the aerial.

Looking at section 11 of the LTA 1985 it states the following:

No mention of telecoms or TV. Does this mean that the law does not consider important in terms of a landlords obligations or is it just a reflection that the legislation is now out of date. The fact that the tenant can receive 10 channels means that they do get a TV service but don't get all the ones that they could do if the aerial is replaced raises an interesting case. Your views very much appreciated.

Scribbler
                          TVs are not mentioned because they are not as important as, say, heat and shelter. Just because a TV aerial isn't specified in (this) legislation is doesn't mean that you don't have a contractal (as opposed to statutory) obligation to provide it.

Comment

Have you checked Freeview checker, (post code and house number,) to see how many channels are available in the area? There are some areas where reception is poor, (even after switch over). Has the Freeview box been re-tuned? This needs to be done occasionally to keep channels or gain new ones. Ours has been recently been switched over and has required retuning 3 times in as many months.

Comment

if you still only get 10 channels I will have a new aerial fitted within the next 7 days."
                              That is the 'dangerous' promise I referred to, Tacpot. Fine if you want to do it and within the 7 days.What if T does not first try retuning or you cannot get fitter in time?
                              Yes the basic aerial is a buildings fixture, LLs resp but it is still working for 10 digital channels (analogue only had 5).
                              OP has not stated area or when digital switchover occurred. Trees and weather conditions can disrupt weak digital signals which replacement aerial may not overcome. Should LL commit to spending £100+ next week on the off chance?
                              T could have moved from a diff Tx area.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                                Orangesandlemons
                                Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
                                22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
                              • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                                AndrewDod
                                - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
                                22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
                              • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                                Joe.K
                                Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
                                The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
                                20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
                              • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                                Joe.K
                                Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
                                22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
                              • Agent ignoring periodic option
                                oakhill
                                My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
                                I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
                                I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
                                21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
                              • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
                                doobrey
                                Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
                                22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
                              • bugs and insects
                                Bobby Bakshi
                                I have a new tenant and she is complaining about small insects in the flat. I found one tiny one on the ceiling. She is saying there are more but I cannot see them. Is this my responsibility or hers, she has just moved in.
                                22-08-2019, 18:51 PM
                              • Reply to bugs and insects
                                AndrewDod
                                The average normal home has hundreds of species of insects and thousands of individual creatures. It is totally normal. If there are no insects at all, the place would have to be so filled with pesticides that they would pose a massive danger to health.

Only a few kinds are bad. Bed bugs...
                                22-08-2019, 19:55 PM
                              • Inventory not signed
                                braquo99
                                hi all new land lord here

I created an inventory and passed to the letting agency (tenant find only) who emailed it over to the tenants when they moved in (I was on holiday)
                                the tenants came back with some queries and I amended the inventory and mailed it back.

i am now...
                                22-08-2019, 19:40 PM
                              • Reply to Inventory not signed
                                AndrewDod
                                Fire the agent as soon as possible. The tenants should not have been given keys without at least some signed inventory....
                                22-08-2019, 19:50 PM
                              Working...
                              X