Debts by previous tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debts by previous tenants

I have used a management company for 4 years, they have been OK until recently. They let the flat for the usual 6 months to a new tenant but when the 6 months were up they said they couldn't get hold of him to sign another agreement. They also said they couldn't get appointments to examine the flat, on top of this I had to start paying rent protection because there was no agreement in place. I said give him an order to quit and get someone in who will sign for 6 months. All this took place over a few months. Finally he moved out owing the obligatory one month so thought all OK.
    It now turns out that he was subletting, no one had paid any council tax etc. for over 6 months. The gas & electricity people changed the meter to a prepaid one (I only found out when cleaning the flat and the lights went out!!!!) and I am finding bailiffs letters every time I go to the flat. When I discussed this with the agent she said "I suspected he was subletting". I asked her why she didn't tell me and make a move to get him out asap. She said - "the rent was being paid so I didn't pursue it". I told her that she would no longer manage my flat.
    Will the fact that there are so many outstanding debts by people who lived in the flat affect any new tenants?

No - the debts "belong" to the old tenants, not to the property/new tenants/anyone else. In reality, it would be prudent to contact the creditors and inform them that the tenant(s) no longer reside at that property, in order to prevent any further demands etc.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Don't worry about the gas/electric meters: now that the debtor has gone, the companies will be happy to revert to credit meters for the next householder (ie you or tenant) at no charge to you.

Also, have a read of this recent thread which is relevant:
      http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=4023

Comment

Another letting agent doing a wonderful job. :|

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X