Council assesment-just in case

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Council assesment-just in case

    Do any LL recommend the tenant to gain a council evaluation on rent/council tax rebate, just in case of non payment.

    The tenant maybe unable to pay during the tenancy agreement and the LL may oblige for the tenant to gain some guarantee's to paid rent when and if circumstances can change.

    Dodgy tenants who are in and out of work are likely candidates.
    Lack of paid employment means that they cant afford rent, and LL are often reluctant to take on these ppl.

    Are there any LL who insist on such precuation BEFORE a tenancy agreement is made, just to ensure a set rate of payment if all else fails for the tenant.

    On the other hand are there any tenants who use this method to ensure that if there is no income-they know that a certain amount will be paid by the council (assuming that they are responsible and dont wannt to aviod eviction etc...)

    How far does the council allow such preliminary assessments, in the likely or unlikely event that rent cant be paid somewhere along the line.

    Comments and experiences please.

    You avoid these tenants like the plague! Unless of course you like playing Russian Roulette!
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      My local council will give a figure based on the tenant being entirely on benefits but they will only give a pre assessment to the prospective tenant and this takes several weeks to get. I am happy to take these tenants but those who are in and out of work, even the genuine ones who are trying to better themselves, are a nightmare, as Paul says, avoid.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Newish landlord queries
        by ash72
        The agent fees seems reasonable, the fully managed service still means the LL is contacted and updated on issues (I would rather know what is happening with my property, then just getting billed for the works. You also have the options to use them or you get your own person to do the remedial works,...
        07-07-2020, 10:48 AM
      • Newish landlord queries
        by martysparty99
        Hi all, first time here and looking for some general advice.

        Be patient with me as I am a first time landlord!

        Let my property back in feb, used an agent that I used to sell our house last year. He said he could do me a good deal on fully managed. 7% which I think is a good...
        07-07-2020, 09:57 AM
      • Reply to Deposit Issue
        by jpkeates
        If you do it sensibly, your tenant may well agree.

        It's been years since I had anyone seriously challenge a claim I've made.
        And I was probably a bit optimistic back then!
        07-07-2020, 10:47 AM
      • Deposit Issue
        by tenantputney
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

        Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Multiple Tenant

        Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy? July 2017

        23-06-2020, 12:20 PM
      • Reply to Newish landlord queries
        by jpkeates
        You need to work this out with the agent.
        Some landlords like everything to be run past them, some set a limit which the agent can simply authorise - it's a matter of trust and practicality.

        My agent runs anything over a limit past me, but uses emails, so I don't get interrupted if...
        07-07-2020, 10:45 AM
      • Reply to Newish landlord queries
        by theartfullodger
        Join NRLA and do courses on being a landlird:. Much cheaper than the alternative (lack of knowledge) in both time and money. Even with agent you remain responsible for everything (but may have a later claim against agent).

        Have you very carefully read your agreement with agent to find...
        07-07-2020, 10:11 AM
      • Reply to Deposit Issue
        by shoobydoo
        Thank you. I will go for cleaning costs and will live in hope that the adjudicators may allow me something.
        07-07-2020, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
        by jpkeates
        You need to sue both of them, or just the tenant.
        If you sue the guarantor, they have a simple defence, in that you haven't exhausted your attempts to recover the money from the tenant.
        07-07-2020, 09:23 AM
      • Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
        by hadiolar
        Good morning,
        Hope I can get some clarity to my issue
        Tenant left in April 2020 with monies owed (Court eviction active)
        outstanding rent-£8000
        damage to Ppty-£3000
        letter before action sent to both tenant and guarantor -No response and no payment made...
        07-07-2020, 08:03 AM
      • Reply to Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
        by ash72
        Which form are you using, you should be using the N1 form, or do it online, the max. you can claim in small £10k.

        Success depends on your claim and how much supporting evidence you. Does the guarantor own a property? If so, I would be inclined to go for them, there is much more success...
        07-07-2020, 09:07 AM