Is there a minimum age at which you can be a landlord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem is that I own and live in a flat in a converted terraced London house, and the owner of the only other flat in the house is a 19-year-old who lets the flat, doesn't live in London and neglects all her duties as a landlord (and even as a good neighbour).

For example, she doesn't seem to have read her lease, which requires both me and her to share equally the costs of all external and common parts repairs. It has taken nine months to get the simplest but important roof repairs done because she refused to co-operate. Nor has she read the part of the lease restricting noise: although she doesn't live in London, when her flat was empty between tenants she held an all-night party in her flat and garden which continued from 3pm one afternoon to 10am the next day, and kept half the street awake for most of the night. Then, before going home to wherever she lives, she dumped 20 bin bags of rubbish in the front garden, which the council won't collect as they only collect from wheelie bins placed on the pavement on the right day. The garden has been filled with all this rubbish for two weeks now, and she clearly doesn't intend to move it and nor will the Council.

Before anyone mentions mortgage lenders - I am pretty certain she bought the flat for cash from an inheritance (she was 18 when she bought it, drives a sports car and has a lowly clerical job, so is unlikely to have got a mortgage on a £400,000 flat).

And the freeholder is no use either. He is pretty much absent, and has told me my home is "too small a part of [his] property portfolio" for him to spend any time on it.

So I'm wondering if there is a minimum age at which someone can be a landlord?

And can anyone suggest anything that would get her to fulfil her legal obligations in terms of sharing communal repairs and maintenance, abiding by the terms and covenants of the lease, etc?

Thanks very much for any suggestions or advice you can give.

Minimum age 18 years old.

It is the freeholder that must enforce the covenants.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

What has her age got to do with anything?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Saint, I thought age might have something to do with it because, if the minimum age was 21, say (there are still some things one can't do until 21, despite the age of majority being 18) then I thought it might be possible for someone to be appointed a kind of "guardian" to assist her in her legal obligations. At least one of her older brothers is a businessman, so I thought maybe he could be appointed to assist and advise her. Currently, I am doing so - on everything from how to apply for a TV licence and avoid a bad credit rating from an Experian report to how to get her household rubbish collected, as well as notifying her of structural problems with her property, such as lead flashing falling off the roof, leaking gutters and drainpipes, extensive mould in her bathroom (which her last tenants told me about, but hadn't mentioned to her letting agent) and other important matters relating to her flat that she wouldn't otherwise know about. It seems to me that, at 19, she doesn't have enough experience of such matters to be an absent landlord. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to keep an eye on her property and deal with its problems.

Comment

Originally posted by The Londoner View Post
          And can anyone suggest anything that
          would get her to fulfil her legal obligations in terms of sharing
          communal repairs and maintenance, abiding by the terms and
          covenants of the lease, etc?
          you will have to take her to court for failing to observe the lease to pay
          ½ the repairs / apply to the LVT to get a ruling she has breached the lease.

The is no other way it would seem if a 19 year old totaly ignors the lease.

but your post is a Long leasehold question and you should
          put your case re the lease in that forum

R.a.M.

Comment

There are plenty of newbie LLs older than 21 or even 51 who do not have a clue.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X