Extension of a Tenancy Aggreement and rent increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension of a Tenancy Aggreement and rent increase

Hi all, wondered it I could trouble you for some advice...

I have an exceptional tennant who has been in my house for coming up to 2 years, she is dss, have had no trouble and rent, although normally a month late, gets paid. She has told me she wants to stay in the property long term, which I am happy for her to do.

Initally she has a one year Assured Shorthold Tennancy, and in Jan this year I just wrote her a letter saying the Shorthold Tennancy has become periodic an thus no need to sign anything else. My first question is how long can I keep the exisitng tennancy in place before I need to issue a new tenancy agreement? and secondly, i wish to put the rent up in Jan, do I need to issue a new tenancy agreement or can I just write to her saying the rent is going up?

Thansk all

Originally posted by Southwick View Post
    Hi all, wondered it I could trouble you for some advice...

I have an exceptional tennant who has been in my house for coming up to 2 years, she is dss, have had no trouble and rent, although normally a month late, gets paid. She has told me she wants to stay in the property long term, which I am happy for her to do.

Initally she has a one year Assured Shorthold Tennancy, and in Jan this year I just wrote her a letter saying the Shorthold Tennancy has become periodic an thus no need to sign anything else. My first question is how long can I keep the exisitng tennancy in place before I need to issue a new tenancy agreement? and secondly, i wish to put the rent up in Jan, do I need to issue a new tenancy agreement or can I just write to her saying the rent is going up?

Thansk all
    Periodic tenancy is just that. Every month is a new period (same tenancy, though). No need for new fixed term unless that is what you and T agree.

Rent increase procedure: see s.13 of 1988 Act. There is a special Notice to serve on T. In it, L proposes new rent; this takes effect unless T objects and implements Tribunal procedure.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Also to be noted; if the new rent goes above that which has been indicated by the local Rent Office, Housing Benefit (no longer DSS) are unlikely to pay the difference so if your tenant cannot pay the difference you may end up with arrears each month
      Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

So, to sum up the statutory periodic tenancy that your tenant is now on can remain in place as long as you want. The correct section 13 rent increase form is available from:http://www.oyezformslink.co.uk for a small fee

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X