Purchased Property As Tentanted But No Evidence of Tenants??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchased Property As Tentanted But No Evidence of Tenants??

Hi all,
    I recently purchased a property at a auction and it was sold as TENTANTED.
    After I purchased it I was informed there is no record of tentants agreement or keys as the previous owner was a company that went bust. I have posted 3 letters to the property over the past 2 weeks and have been round knocking on the property 3 times and there is no evidence of people in there.
    What are the implications of me just gaining access to the property?
    Or do I have to issue court proceedings even if I don't know if anyone lives in there?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Daniel

And if I do have to issue proceedings do I treat it as short term tenants or squatters or something else?

Comment

Didn't the auctioneers tell you what type of tenancy and the name of the tenant ?
      Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

No, they say they have been unable to gain access to the property and have been unable to get details from the company as the company went bust.

I have looked on the uk voters roll and I can see two peoples names that registered to the property for 2011.

Can I force entry as I have given them opportunites if they are there to get in contact?

Comment

Originally posted by geordiemacky View Post
          I have posted 3 letters to the property over the past 2 weeks and have been round knocking on the property 3 times and there is no evidence of people in there.
          Do you mean there was no-one present or that the property was actually empty (no furniture, etc.)?

Considering the previous landlord went bust it's possible that the tenant took that opportunity to just leave...

Comment

Have you checked the C Tax register for the property.

I would not enter the property as if empty but start abandonment process, pref with help from council.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
              Do you mean there was no-one present or that the property was actually empty (no furniture, etc.)?

Considering the previous landlord went bust it's possible that the tenant took that opportunity to just leave...
              Well I can't see into the property. Main front window is boarded up and so is one of the rear windows.

Comment

I have called Durham County Council and they say someone is registered for council tax but won't tell me any more details.

Abandonment process? What form would I need to fill in?

(Thanks for the help every one, this is my first buy to let!)

Comment

Originally posted by geordiemacky View Post
                  Main front window is boarded up and so is one of the rear windows.
                  Er? Boarded up?!

Probably to keep squatters out. My bet is that the property has been vacant for some time...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X