Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit notice period and the Law

Hi everyone, I want to ask your advice

I rent a flat and have an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement for 12 months (ends in 3 months).

Recenty considered to move out earlier but when I asked my landlord what is a notice period he said that it is 2 months. There is nothing about this in the agreement so I want to know if the landlord can require such a long notice period. Landlord keeps my 1 month deposit and I actually expected 1 month notice.

What does Housing Act 1988 say about it?

Thank you

Your landlord must give you two months' notice to expire at the end of your fixed term, if he wants you to go.

If you want to go when the fixed term ends, you can move out on the last day of the fixed term without giving him any notice, if you wish, although it is usually courteous to do so.

If you want to leave earlier than the end of the fixed term, and he agrees to let you do so (this is called a surrender), then he can insist on whatever terms he wants, as he is not obliged to let you go early (unless your contract contains a break clause - does it?)

Please explain what you men by this, though:

Originally posted by Zakhar View Post
    Landlord keeps my 1 month deposit and I actually expected 1 month notice.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

You appear to be 9 months into a 12 month fixed term. As such you will remain liable for rent and property until end of fixed term or until LL gets a new T in if sooner. A mutual surrender can be agreed but it will cost you. I predict 2 months rent.

Comment

As Mariner says, you are tied to your binding contact until the fixed term ends, unless your LL agrees otherwise. You can leave at the end of the fixed term, or negotiate a "deal" with the LL to leave earlier. However, LL is under no obligation to accept, and can insist you see out your fixed term.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Your landlord must give you two months' notice to expire at the end of your fixed term, if he wants you to go.

If you want to go when the fixed term ends, you can move out on the last day of the fixed term without giving him any notice, if you wish, although it is usually courteous to do so.

If you want to leave earlier than the end of the fixed term, and he agrees to let you do so (this is called a surrender), then he can insist on whatever terms he wants, as he is not obliged to let you go early (unless your contract contains a break clause - does it?)

Please explain what you men by this, though:
          Thanks for reply.
          I meant that I paid 1 month deposit and expected that I can give 1 month notice if I want to move out earlier. I did not expect that I can not break the contract. Will be more careful next time.

Comment

Thanks for reply.
            I meant that I paid 1 month deposit and expected that I can give 1 month notice if I want to move out earlier. I did not expect that I can not break the contract. Will be more careful next time.
            But you agreed to stay there for 12 months, I can not see why it is a surprise that you have to pay for 12 months.

If you stay beyond the time you and the landlord agreed, then you can give 1 months notice (with certain conditions) to leave.

Comment

Regardless of what you paid in advance (some tenants pay 6 months in advance), you have signed a binding agreement to live at the property (or atleast pay rent) for 12 months. You cannot suddenly decide to change that fixed term period unless you can get your LL to agree.

Your month's deposit, was that actually a security deposit or 1 month's rent in advance? If it is a security deposit, this should be held in scheme and protected to cover damage or repairs required at the end of your tenancy. If it was indeed a month's rent in advance, then you are a month ahead with your rent, but still need to pay a total of 12 months (11 including your initial advance payment). Your LL may agree to let you leave, provided all rent for the whole 12 month period is paid, but you must check whether your "advance" is rent or deposit.

Comment

Hi everyone, I want to ask your advice

I rent a flat and have an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement for 12 months (ends in 3 months).
                In other words, you signed a binding contract to pay rent for the full 12 months (unless there's a break clause).

Recenty considered to move out earlier but when I asked my landlord what is a notice period he said that it is 2 months. There is nothing about this in the agreement so I want to know if the landlord can require such a long notice period. Landlord keeps my 1 month deposit and I actually expected 1 month notice.
                You, as tenant, can't 'give notice' to end the tenancy earlier than fixed term expiry (unless there's a break clause). You can only offer to surrender, an offer which the LL is free to accept or reject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by DoricPixie
                  Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach and would mean the landlord...
                  27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by Piffy
                  I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                  27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                  by Hudson01
                  Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                  27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                • Tenant has moved partner in.
                  by Alison Laws
                  My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
                  27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
                • Reply to Is time more important than money?
                  by Hudson01
                  In general time of course is more important than money, but often it is the ownership of enough money that gives you free time ! The tenants i doubt were thinking in such terms though, they were simply bone idle, i grew up in a dirty house as a child, the time my parents saved with not cleaning did...
                  27-01-2022, 20:34 PM
                • Is time more important than money?
                  by jpucng62
                  Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                  Garden was left in a mess...
                  27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                  by jpucng62
                  The property was inspected - although Covid has it effect - but the tenant is entitled to live as they wish during the tenancy. It only became a problem when they failed to bring the property back to the condition they took it in when they left.

I was just amazed that they could so easily...
                  27-01-2022, 19:45 PM
                • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by Hooper
                  To be honest I picked that rule up on this forum - I've heard it over and over. I'm probably guilty of having repeated it myself! If an error gets repeated enough in a small community it becomes fact!...
                  27-01-2022, 19:36 PM
                  by royw
                  Haha, I might just try that one ­čśü. I hate housework....
                  27-01-2022, 18:43 PM
                  by JK0
                  I thought it would be our fault in some way....
                  27-01-2022, 18:30 PM
                Working...
                X