X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mk1fan
    replied
    What a lovely start to the year!

I would second MTG's suggestion to see if your University has any mediation services.

I would also suggest a very quick house meeting with all the tenants where it is calmly and clearly said that this behaviour is not acceptable.

If she does assault anyone then do phone the Police. This person may well have issues but until they are prepared to face and deal with them then there is nothing you can do to help.

Leave a comment:

• kathryn123
    replied
    She is not ill that I am aware of. Or have any hidden problems.
    We were not all in the same friedship group but seemed to all get along fine at the beggining however true colours came out as the year progressed. A weak reason I know!
    I am pretty sure we have an HMO license, I just am not sure about it being 'displayed'.
    And yes, some of the tenents have already moved in.
    It sounds as if the only way something could be done is if she did actually hit someone?
    Thank you for the help!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
    Touché MTG - should have read more than just this...
    Worry not! It's that usual student thing of moving in one at a time over weeks and weeks!

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    But Snorkerz, some of the joint tenants have already moved in. I think the tenancy has begun:
    Touché MTG - should have read more than just this...

Originally posted by kathryn123 View Post
    i am not sure about the last question im afraid? i havent been up there yet.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    If you haven't yet moved into the property, you may want to consider NOT moving in as a 6-some. There could of course be some financial penalty*, but it would be considerably less than if you had to move out once the tenancy had begun.

*Your property will be a 'home in multiple occupation' and should have a license. If it hasn't, it may give you some negotiating power to get out of the contract.
    But Snorkerz, some of the joint tenants have already moved in. I think the tenancy has begun:

I have a year long contract which has started and a couple of tenets have moved in. There are six of us in total. five of us get on fine and have no problems. One girl however is causing problems already. i have heard from those that have moved in that she has threatened to hit two of them already, starts arguments, is very aggressive and generally has anti-social behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    If you haven't yet moved into the property, you may want to consider NOT moving in as a 6-some. There could of course be some financial penalty*, but it would be considerably less than if you had to move out once the tenancy had begun.

*Your property will be a 'home in multiple occupation' and should have a license. If it hasn't, it may give you some negotiating power to get out of the contract.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Do you have any idea why she is behaving like this? Is she ill?

Was she not originally part of your friendship group - otherwise,how did she come to be part of your joint tenancy?

This is a bit of a long shot, but as you are all students it might be worth speaking to someone at your Uni Accommodation Office. They often help arbitrate when tenancies 'go wrong'.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    is there anything we can do to get her out of the house? I am pretty sure we would all be united in wanting her out.
    You and the other joint tenants can't evict her. The only way she can be evicted against her will is if the LL takes action to evict ALL of you, because you're joint tenants. And, even if LL wanted to, he can't evict you before the end of the fixed term unless there's a serious breach of the tenancy, such as owing a lot of rent.

If she does hit someone, would we be able to take action then?
    Yes, you could go to the police. It might also be possible to obtain an injunction prohibiting her from going near to the person she attacked

Leave a comment:

• kathryn123
    replied
    In addition to MTGs questions:
    Are you in England/Wales?
    Is the property taller than 2 floors?
    if yes - is there a HMO license displayed anywhere?

And a 3rd option for MTGs question - do you pay your rent to / have a contract with one of the other occupants, or a live-away landlord?
    In england, property has 3 floors, i am not sure about the last question im afraid? i havent been up there yet.

well we pay rent to a letting agency and have a live away landlord....

Leave a comment:

• kathryn123
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    It's OK - we try to help all comers, not just landlords! Lots of tenants post questions here.

Have you all signed the same joint tenancy contract or separate individual ones? And are you students?
    Thank you!
    yes we are students, and we all signed the same contract....

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    In addition to MTGs questions:
    Are you in England/Wales?
    Is the property taller than 2 floors?
    if yes - is there a HMO license displayed anywhere?

And a 3rd option for MTGs question - do you pay your rent to / have a contract with one of the other occupants, or a live-away landlord?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    It's OK - we try to help all comers, not just landlords! Lots of tenants post questions here.

Have you all signed the same joint tenancy contract or separate individual ones? And are you students?

Leave a comment:

• kathryn123
    started a topic Aggresive Tenent

Aggresive Tenent

I am not actually a landlord, but did not know of anywhere else to post my question. So I hope someone doesn't mind helping!
    I have a year long contract which has started and a couple of tenets have moved in. There are six of us in total. five of us get on fine and have no problems. One girl however is causing problems already. i have heard from those that have moved in that she has threatened to hit two of them already, starts arguments, is very aggressive and generally has anti-social behaviour.
    If her behaviour gets worse and is generally a nightmare, is there anything we can do to get her out of the house? I am pretty sure we would all be united in wanting her out. If she does hit someone, would we be able to take action then?
    I am purely asking so i know what options i have and therefore what method of coping i should take with this girl. If i should lay low, or argue, knowing that i have an ultimatum?
    Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dont have access to a printer
    by AndrewDod
    The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

Strangely enough the...
    30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
  • Dont have access to a printer
    by jtufty
    Hi,

I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

Thanks...
    28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
  • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
    by Perce
    In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
    29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
  • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
    by Mavis808
    I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
    24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
  • S21 notice
    by Uklondoner
    My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
    29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
  • Reply to Section 21
    by Perce
    It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
    29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
  • Section 21
    by zrux
    Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
    I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
    28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
  • Reply to Section 21
    by MdeB
    Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
    29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
  • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
    by Stew
    I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
    29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
  • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
    by MadLL
    Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
    I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
    29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
Working...
X