Normal? No mention of Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme to be used on details sent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Snorkerz, interesting and useful, I guess all landlords, tenants and agents are different, just need to find the good ones

Comment

Hi, I've been reading through the title deed given to my mum to sign so I may rent a property, I will be paying 6 months rent up front for 6 months contract but the landlord still requires a guarantor. However, it makes no sense, I have seen much clearer ones which are very easy to understand.

Can anyone tell me what the following terms mean?

"The term includes any continuation or extention of the term and any holding over whether by statute or common law or otherwise and whether or not at the same rental and/or without one or more (if more than one) of the tenants to the tenancy agreement"

"The guarantor covenants with the landlord and without the need for any express assignment with all his successors in title such covenant to take effect from the Commencement date"

"If the tenancy agreement shall be disclaimed and for any reason the landlord does not require the Guarantor to accept a new tenncy of the property in clause 2 .......etc"

Is this all reasonable to expect us to understand? Pulling wool over our eyes?

Very confused! Is this a dodgy deed?

Thanks if you could help

Comment

Your mum should seek advice from a solicitor before signing the guarantee. She needs it to be explained to her by an expert, not second hand from non-experts on the internet (however knowledgable we are! )

Comment

Hi everyone, just a bit of an update,

I emailed the agent to let them know of my concerns, I decided to be upfront and honest about not wanting viewings by prospective purchasers/tenants/surveyors throughout the entirety of the tenancy and asked if they could change the contract to it being the last two months of tenancy only that this would occur.

I said I am very happy for checks on the property while I am there during such checks and any access to be on my concent and not while I am out.

The letting agent called me to say they would not change anything in the contract and asked whether I am going to sign it now or not? I explained all of my concerns about access and she did say she understood but that in the event I didn't give consent or didn't hear back that they would go ahead and enter the property as they would need to show people around.

She said she wouldn't put anything in writing.

She also said that the verbal reassurance from the LA who showed me the property; that the property would be taken off the market until the last two months of the tenancy was not valid and so they would not agree to this. It seems agent can say things but it they are not valid.

I decided at this point I'd had enough, I wanted to pull out entirely and go with another LA. I phoned some other LA companies in the local area some of whom said that they would let me read through a contract before even viewing the property to see if it was in line with what I would be happy with and that they only have viewings for the last two months, some one month and some 6 weeks before the end of the tenancy.

I phoned the original LA back and said I'm just not happy with the contract and viewings situation and I was not going ahead, I was really fed up, really had enough of dealing with them, thought I'd just look elsewhere for another property.

The LA said she would change the contract from "that if at any time during the tenancy if the LL wishes to sell that viewings would occur" to

"if at any time during the tenancy the LL wishes to REMORTGAGE the property that surveyor will access to survey property"

I'm guessing this will be OK? it stops the prospect of viewings during the first 4 months which was my main concern but it could still remain on the for sale market.

Can anyone foresee any problems with if the LL wishes to remortgage the property? This wouldn't put me at any risk?

Could it put the property at risk of repossession by mortgage co?

A HUGE learning curve all this......

Comment

Just wondering.. is there any way to find out if a property about to sign up agreement to rent could have a repossession order on it from a mortgage co?

Could this happen and would there be any risk to the tenant once they entered a tenancy agreement?

Comment

Naughty Meekly for ignoring Mod protcol
              Any mortgagee in default could heve the property repossessed by lender. Any sitting T would be normally allowed 4-8 weeks to vacate after repo order

I suggest you decide whether you wish to rent property now.

Comment

Meekly, you have now started three new threads all with the same question posed in post #35, all deleted for that reason. For posts relating to the same property/issue by the same person (you) stick to this thread please, a single member posting multiple threads that relate to each other antagonises and frustrates other members, and it starts to monopolise the forum, it’s not a trend that we can allow.
                I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mariner. I now have more knowledge about the situation to make a decision on whether the property and contract are for me than when I started out.

Mod 2 I had no idea this was not allowed, I certainly wasn't meaning to annoy or upset other members, I simply thought it would be useful that each individual topic could have it's own thread and hence title heading when coming to the "front page" for others to see easily what the individual issue was. I thought it would be helpful so that those members with more knowledge on one of the issues I am equiring about could easily see it when coming to the "front page". I really had no idea I could only post all my equiries in one thread regarding this property.

Where can I find the rules for this forum about this so I can get it right, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by meekly View Post
                    Where can I find the rules for this forum about this so I can get it right, thank you.
                    Here’s the forum rules, the link is also at the top of the page;

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hp?do=vsarules

There’s no real hard-fast rule on the number of threads someone can create, or the different subjects etc. But what I do is gauge the reaction by people who typically provide the answers, and if I see that people are irritated by multiple postings by the same person relating to the same issue or property, then I will typically merge threads (and occasionally you will see this requested by various members).

So what I am saying is that my actions relate more to what the regular forum members want, than any specific rules.
                    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by meekly View Post
                      The letting agent called me to say they would not change anything in the contract and asked whether I am going to sign it now or not? I explained all of my concerns about access and she did say she understood but that in the event I didn't give consent or didn't hear back that they would go ahead and enter the property as they would need to show people around.
                      And, as previously (and repeatedly) advised, you could change the locks if the agent ignored your wishes in respect of viewings.

Can anyone foresee any problems with if the LL wishes to remortgage the property? This wouldn't put me at any risk?
                      Nothing can eliminate the risk that the LL will default on his mortgage and that the property will be repossessed. In the unlikely event that this happens, you will be given ample notice and will not be evicted overnight.

However, if you are looking for a long term let (i.e. hoping to stay for more than 6 months), then as Snorkerz has already pointed out, this property doesn't sound ideal, given that LL has been considering selling up.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                        And, as previously (and repeatedly) advised, you could change the locks if the agent ignored your wishes in respect of viewings.

Nothing can eliminate the risk that the LL will default on his mortgage and that the property will be repossessed. In the unlikely event that this happens, you will be given ample notice and will not be evicted overnight.

However, if you are looking for a long term let (i.e. hoping to stay for more than 6 months), then as Snorkerz has already pointed out, this property doesn't sound ideal, given that LL has been considering selling up.
                        (without reading the whole topic just the last page!) In the case of a re-mortgage created after the inception of the tenancy, the terms of the tenancy agreement would be binding upon lender and all successors in title?
                        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Oh dear! I'm 38 years old and I now feel 3 lol! I've never rented from a letting agent, mostly been in owned homes and don't know this forum protocol. Well, I must say I have never been to a forum before where you can only post on one thread!

I do appreciate all the advice though, I now know a heck of a lot more about the world of renting, hopefully it's all uphill from here for me now.

Cheers all!

By the way, is there any way someone with £15,000 savings currently out of work, not on any benefits, can invest in property to rent out? All the best

Comment

IME most forums only allow one thread per 'incident' so related info is easily accessible to those offering advice. All your threads relate to one related topic. Time scale is also a factor, so if you have a further in say 6 months, it would be best to start a new thread as legislation does not remain constant. This Forum occ gets people cross posting the same from the Consumer Action Res Lettings forum, perhaps hoping for more favourable suggestions. When spotted, a link to the CAG posting is often provided.

Prob not unless they inherit a property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X