Witness Statement for rent payment date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westminster View Post
    I doubt it's a very good idea to come across as trying to score points against the judge. Just do what the judge has asked. End of.
    Not to 'score points', just stating legal fact that the tenancy period as stated in the AST is the relevant legal fact, not the rent payment date.

Comment

No, they are not, and making such remarks isn't funny or clever.
      Not all I agree, they are human beings, but some judges are just pedantic, finnicky, and downright anal about the way they want things phrased. I sent a letter to the judge confirming the rent payment date, but apparently this is 'not acceptable' as I stated above. That's anal in my non-legal opinion!

Comment

"The first day of the tenancy was 19/07/2009. It specifically says the rent is payable in advance. I said in my letter to the judge that the rent is due on the 19th of each calendar month - but apparently (see above) he cannot accept my letter as evidence of this rent payment date.

The tenancy agreement I used was the Residential Landlords Association AST (2004 updated). In the original letter the judge wanted a 'Witness Statement' to confirm clause B1 in this agreement."

Kaya your letter has not been accepted as evidence and the AST clause B1 only says "B1: You must do the following: - Pay the rent on the days and in the way we have agreed" How is the Judge to know what was agreed?
        In this case, you are the Witness, no-one else required.
        Google CPR32 for info un how to format with correct phraseology. (Not accessed this Forum's document)

Comment

Mariner! I don't understand what the problem is either I assume that because my letter wasn't phrased in the 'correct' way that is was not accepted. I have now rephrased my letter according to the template witness statement on this site and posted it to the judge, along with a covering letter stating that the rent payment date is not relevant in any case, only the tenancy period (which is contained in the AST doument he already has).

Like I said, I believe it's all delaying tactics, as the council will have to rehome my tenants once they are evicted. The council and the courts are in regular contact that is a fact.

Kaya x

Comment

Originally posted by Kaya View Post
            Not to 'score points', just stating legal fact that the tenancy period as stated in the AST is the relevant legal fact, not the rent payment date.
            I agree with Westminster - the judge will not make his decision based on your knowledge or otherwise of the legal requirements, it is just going to rub him up the wrong way. Provide what he wants, and hope you get a different judge if you have to do this again.

Comment

Don't be disingenuous. When you said:

Judges are all @$$#0l£$....I'll show him!
              you clearly meant you wanted to score points against the judge.

The fact is that you failed to follow the requirements of the Civil Procedure Rules, and were politely asked to comply. It's nothing to get worked up about.

I also disagree that it's 'obvious' that the rent is payable on the 19th of the month, if all the contract says is "Pay the rent on the days and in the way we have agreed". How does that state the tenancy period?

Just because the contract starts on the 19th of the month, it doesn't follow that rent is payable monthly on the 19th, it could easily be payable weekly, quarterly, etc. So the judge's question is perfectly reasonable if the s.21 notice was served when the tenancy was periodic - was it? - because he'd need to know the frequency with which rent is payable.

Comment

Not all I agree, they are human beings, but some judges are just pedantic, finnicky, and downright anal about the way they want things phrased. I sent a letter to the judge confirming the rent payment date, but apparently this is 'not acceptable' as I stated above. That's anal in my non-legal opinion!
                The Civil Procedure Rules are there for a reason, not just to be 'anal'. Your attitude is naive and childish.

If, for example, the court accepted your letter (which didn't conform to the requirements of CPR) as evidence, and proceeded to grant a possession order against the Tenant, the T could, in theory, challenge the ruling on this point of law, that the ruling was based on impermissible evidence under CPR. Potentially, then, the T could get the possession order set aside and you'd be back to where you started. Do you see the point now?

Comment

Well I have now provided that fact (rent payment date) on an official witness form.
                  The thing is do you just bend over and take it as a LL?
                  As a LL you have rights also, judges should not be able to just trample all over them and insist on documents which are not required by law.
                  In my case, why does the judge think the rent payment date significant in any case, when the tenancy period clearly states in the AST is from the 19th July 2009?

Comment

In my case, why does the judge think the rent payment date significant in any case, when the tenancy period clearly states in the AST is from the 19th July 2009?
                    I think you may be confusing 'fixed term' and 'tenancy period'.

Comment

The Civil Procedure Rules are there for a reason, not just to be 'anal'. Your attitude is naive and childish.

If, for example, the court accepted your letter (which didn't conform to the requirements of CPR) as evidence, and proceeded to grant a possession order against the Tenant, the T could, in theory, challenge the ruling on this point of law, that the ruling was based on impermissible evidence under CPR. Potentially, then, the T could get the possession order set aside and you'd be back to where you started. Do you see the point now?
                      In your world this case would be settled. In the real world us landlords have to pay our mortgages, and if tenants don't pay rent then we have a problem! To evict takes too long via the courts, the only means of recourse we have (other than sending the boys round) which we would not want do do in any case. Courts DO use delaying tactics when they have no legal right to do so, trading on the ignorance of landlords. Don't tell me otherwise.
                      Last edited by Moderator2; 19-08-2011, 19:15 PM. Reason: Offensive language

Comment

Flipping 'eck you're quick off the mark Mod2
                        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Well done Mod 2 - I reported this and by the time I got back here to respond to OP, you have edited it!

I suggest we all let Kaya get on without interuption - she obviously doesn't need the forums help anymore.

Comment

It is now a periodic tenancy, the 'fixed term' having expired in 2010. The 'tenancy period' in law though, is normally based on the original fixed term of the tenancy agreement. That is just a fact.

Comment

It is now a periodic tenancy, the 'fixed term' having expired in 2010. The 'tenancy period' in law though, is normally based on the original fixed term of the tenancy agreement. That is just a fact.
                              I'm making posts I never would have thought of! Thanks mods and for deleting my obscene language
                              Last edited by Moderator2; 20-08-2011, 07:46 AM. Reason: More offensive comments

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                                Well done Mod 2 - I reported this and by the time I got back here to respond to OP, you have edited it!

I suggest we all let Kaya get on without interuption - she obviously doesn't need the forums help anymore.
                                Yes of course I need your help! Don't now desert me in my hour of need

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                                  19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                                • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                                  by flyingfreehold
                                  Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                                  18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                                  by flyingfreehold
                                  but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                                  19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                                  19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
                                • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                                  by Yorkie2020
                                  Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                                  19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
                                • Windows and front door smashed
                                  by Yorkie2020
                                  Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                                  In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                                  17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
                                • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                                  by Renterthedragon
                                  I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                                  18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                                  by ash72
                                  I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                                  18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
                                • Reply to Single parent renting
                                  by Hooper
                                  I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                                  18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
                                • Single parent renting
                                  by Dct
                                  A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                                  18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                                Working...
                                X