Gas and Electric Meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas and Electric Meters

Should be getting my first property within the next week or so. Is it worth having the gas and electric meters changed to key meters?

Are you landlord or tenant? Getting your first property to let out, or renting the property as a tenant?

Assuming you are LL, key meters tend to have a higher tariff and can put tenants off. If you take readings of each meter at the start of the tenancy (I note them on the inventory and get tenant to sign their acceptance), and again at the end, and make sure each company is advised of the tenant moving in/leaving, all utility supplies used by the tenant are the tenant's responsibility and LL is not liable.

Comment

Sorry, I am a landlord. I was advised that key meters maybe a good idea incase the tenant decides not to keep upto date with payments. I'll take your advice though and take my chances as you say I want to attract potential tenants rather than deter them with even higher than the already astronomical energy bills! Thanks.

Comment

I have a bricklayer working for me at the moment who has a key meter in his family home as it helps them budget their bills and makes his kids aware of electricity use. This is a man on a good wage and a home owner. If this is you Tel then is could be the right move.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I hate key meters and would be asking to get them changed. I had a key meter for electric at one property and fed it £20 per week. I pay £3 more here for a month!
          I'm a good tenant with great landlords
          I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Tel View Post
            Sorry, I am a landlord. I was advised that key meters maybe a good idea incase the tenant decides not to keep upto date with payments. I'll take your advice though and take my chances as you say I want to attract potential tenants rather than deter them with even higher than the already astronomical energy bills! Thanks.
            Tenant's debt is tenant's debt (as I said in my earlier post). Whilst they a living at your property, the contract to supply power/gas is between the tenant and the company, and never anything to do with you.

Utility debt collection will chase them, not you, so long as you make sure meter readings are given at the start and end. If you get key meters in, and later change your mind, companies can be difficult about changing them back, so you'll be stuck with them. Take readings, ring utilities - simples!

Comment

Originally posted by Tel View Post
              Nothing to stop new tenant ask a utility company changing them back to Normal meter/Quarterly or monthly billing,subject to status...
              Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X