Gas and Electric Meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas and Electric Meters

Should be getting my first property within the next week or so. Is it worth having the gas and electric meters changed to key meters?

Are you landlord or tenant? Getting your first property to let out, or renting the property as a tenant?

Assuming you are LL, key meters tend to have a higher tariff and can put tenants off. If you take readings of each meter at the start of the tenancy (I note them on the inventory and get tenant to sign their acceptance), and again at the end, and make sure each company is advised of the tenant moving in/leaving, all utility supplies used by the tenant are the tenant's responsibility and LL is not liable.

Comment

Sorry, I am a landlord. I was advised that key meters maybe a good idea incase the tenant decides not to keep upto date with payments. I'll take your advice though and take my chances as you say I want to attract potential tenants rather than deter them with even higher than the already astronomical energy bills! Thanks.

Comment

I have a bricklayer working for me at the moment who has a key meter in his family home as it helps them budget their bills and makes his kids aware of electricity use. This is a man on a good wage and a home owner. If this is you Tel then is could be the right move.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I hate key meters and would be asking to get them changed. I had a key meter for electric at one property and fed it £20 per week. I pay £3 more here for a month!
          I'm a good tenant with great landlords
          I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Tel View Post
            Sorry, I am a landlord. I was advised that key meters maybe a good idea incase the tenant decides not to keep upto date with payments. I'll take your advice though and take my chances as you say I want to attract potential tenants rather than deter them with even higher than the already astronomical energy bills! Thanks.
            Tenant's debt is tenant's debt (as I said in my earlier post). Whilst they a living at your property, the contract to supply power/gas is between the tenant and the company, and never anything to do with you.

Utility debt collection will chase them, not you, so long as you make sure meter readings are given at the start and end. If you get key meters in, and later change your mind, companies can be difficult about changing them back, so you'll be stuck with them. Take readings, ring utilities - simples!

Comment

Originally posted by Tel View Post
              Nothing to stop new tenant ask a utility company changing them back to Normal meter/Quarterly or monthly billing,subject to status...
              Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                by Yorkie2020
                Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
              • Windows and front door smashed
                by Yorkie2020
                Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
              • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              Working...
              X