Renting out most of home whilst away leaving me one room and Garage for my storage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweetyduck View Post
    you'd be a rich man........or woman.
    shes a fastidious clean freak so it wil likely be in a better state than it is now.

Do you think the agent will get shirty as i want to under charge for it ??
    Any other big costs i should be aware of. Insurance i think? Sould i get appliance cover for the fitted kitchen stuff ? anything else ?
    How clean she is or is not isn't really the point. It's what happens when the boiler breaks down, or the pipes freeze, that you need to think about - and as Snorkerz explained earlier, what happens when you get back home expecting to be able to move back and find she likes it so much she's decided to stay put. The family is riven in half by having to take sides...is she the Parasitic Great Auntie, or are you the Cruel Great Nephew trying to throw a defenceless old ldady out on the streets? You catch my drift.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by tweetyduck View Post

Do you think the agent will get shirty as i want to under charge for it ??
      ?
      I think they may well charge you a higher percentage for their service, you are asking them to do the same amount of work for half the money. Not very good business practice from their point of view.

What makes you believe so strongly that your tenant will meekly move out when you return?

Sorry to sound cynical, but why should she when she has a cushy cheap billet.
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

You have a point. cheap, new, quiet, country view, great kitchen, two car drive on a cul de sac..... I doubt it would happen but its a very good point.

Comment

Please do come back in a year's time and let us know how it's going!

I feel I know this tenant already...
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

S20 notice?

Nobody has mentioned that you can serve a section 20 notice prior to the start of the tenancy that will allow you to recover the proprty quicker upon your return (at least I think you can)

Comment

Originally posted by worzelgummage View Post
              Nobody has mentioned that you can serve a section 20 notice prior to the start of the tenancy that will allow you to recover the proprty quicker upon your return (at least I think you can)
              A s.20 notice is what LL used to have to serve (prior to 1997) to create an assured shorthold tenancy as opposed to an assured tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                A s.20 notice is what LL used to have to serve (prior to 1997) to create an assured shorthold tenancy as opposed to an assured tenancy.
                Whoops - There is something that the OP could do though to show that the property is his former home that allows no fault reclaiming after the fixed contract period isn't there?

Edit - Yes ground 1 of schedule 2 of the 1988 housing act

Comment

Whoops - There is something that the OP could do though to show that the property is his former home that allows no fault reclaiming after the fixed contract period isn't there?

Edit - Yes ground 1 of schedule 2 of the 1988 housing act
                  Even that doesn't allow the LL immediate possession if the T is unco-operative.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Even that doesn't allow the LL immediate possession if the T is unco-operative.
                    But (unless I'm stupid which is possible) it would allow the LL to issue a S8 notice after the fixed term had ended and then apply for possession after 2 weeks. Therefore depending upon the exact date a s21 would need serving this could save upto 10 weeks in the eviction process?

Comment

But (unless I'm stupid which is possible) it would allow the LL to issue a S8 notice after the fixed term had ended and then apply for possession after 2 weeks. Therefore depending upon the exact date a s21 would need serving this could save upto 10 weeks in the eviction process?
                      You may well be correct! But the point I was hoping to make was that however appalling they are being, there is no 'magic bullet' with ASTs which enables you to evict Ts with no delay, (as there is with lodgers, for example).

Let's hope that in OP's case, it won't be necessary anyway!

Comment

Heres one for you to think about - ground 1 does not require 14 days notice, it requires 2 MONTHS notice - s8(14a). As it will not be 'accelerated', it will need a hearing, meaning that for eviction after the end of the fixed term, section 21 will be quicker. Of course that is dependant on the service of a ground 1 notice BEFORE the start of the tenancy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X