Landlord reference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord reference?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help please?

I have just handed in my notice on my current residence, a shared house, because I got totally sick and tired of the Landlord refusing to fix the gas boiler or providing a valid gas safety certificate. In the end the Landlord has agreed to complete the work only after I got the Gas Safe Register involved.

The problem I now have is that I need a Landlord's reference in order to move somewhere new, and it seems to me highly likely that the Landlord will give me a terrible reference, and therefore screw up any chance I have of moving somewhere else.

Is he allowed to do this? I have always paid my rent on time and not missed a payment in 18 months.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Yes, he can refuse to give a reference, which many other landlords will assume means "Do not rent to this person".

Do you think you could get him to sign a "To whom it may concern" letter, confirming the basics:

e.g.

I confirm Mr/Mrs/Miss XIX rented a residential property from me for 18 months.

They were never in arrears on their rent account.

They gave 1 months notice to me as required by our agreement, I did not require them to leave.

I was able to return their deposit without deductions for damage or unpaid rent.

I received no complaints from neighbours relating to XIX's occupation of the property.

etc.

Comment

Originally posted by XIX View Post
      Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help please?

I have just handed in my notice on my current residence, a shared house, because I got totally sick and tired of the Landlord refusing to fix the gas boiler or providing a valid gas safety certificate. In the end the Landlord has agreed to complete the work only after I got the Gas Safe Register involved.

The problem I now have is that I need a Landlord's reference in order to move somewhere new, and it seems to me highly likely that the Landlord will give me a terrible reference, and therefore screw up any chance I have of moving somewhere else.

Is he allowed to do this? I have always paid my rent on time and not missed a payment in 18 months.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
      Well, he doesn't have to give you a reference at all - it's not a legal obligation.

If he does give you one, it should simply state (assuming true) that you were a tenant in x property from y date to z date, that you paid your rent on time and were never in breach of contract. You could even prepare a short statement to that effect and ask him to sign it - you never know!

If he refuses, then you will have to explain to any new LL/agent the reason why you left your last property - you could even offer to show them the communications with GasSafe to show you are being honest and to back up your explanation about the lack of ref. They will probably be happy with a bank reference/credit check plus a ref. from your last but one LL or a even someone of standing in the community who can vouch for you (e.g. teacher, GP, church leader), or from your employer.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

thnk you for your help on this.

Unfortunately the new agent is less than honest too and it's going to cost me a couple of hundred quid plus.

Really tired of dealing with dishonest agents and landlords... wish I could find some that weren't that way, because I am sure there are plenty =[

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X