End of tenancy notice period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of tenancy notice period

I wonder if the forum could help me with an issue I have over being given notice on a monthly periodic tenancy. The tenant gave me notice this week on the 15th August that they would be leaving at the end of the month. I understand that they are required to give a full months notice. However I'm also aware that the clear month relates to when the tenancy started which in this case was the 28/1/2006. Does this mean that rent is due up until the 15th of September or in fact the 28th September. Any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Scribbler

Is it a periodic tenancy from the start, or a statutory periodic tenancy that follows on from a fixed term?

When did the last fixed term start?
    How long was it for?
    Was there an end date specified?
    Is the rent due monthly?

Comment

Is it a periodic tenancy from the start, or a statutory periodic tenancy that follows on from a fixed term? It was originally a fixed term and then become a statutory periodic.

When did the last fixed term start?28/1/2006 for 6 months
      How long was it for? 6 months
      Was there an end date specified? not absolutely sure but I think so
      Is the rent due monthly? Yes

Thanks

Comment

I would say that the tenancy periods run form 28th to 27th of each month and that to give valid notice, your Ts must inform you before 28th August that they intend to leave on/by 27th September, which would be the earliest they could end their tenancy. Had they wished it to end on 27th August they should have given notice before 28th July.

They can leave at the end of August if they wish, but the tenancy continues and they remain liable for rent until and including 27th September.

You may, if you wish, agree something different between you (if you are feeling generous!), but you are not obliged to.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I agree totally with MTG on the asumption there was no end date to the contract, or there was an end date of 27/7/2006.

If the end date was specified as 28/7/2006 as sometimes happens, then add 1 day onto the advice MTG gives.

Comment

Hi Thanks ever so much for the replies. It's probably me but what you seem to be indicating is that one month 'clear notice' is required. However, I note that on Landlordzones advice page this isn't the case. It only mentions that one months notice is required as does the Shelter website.

Is the clear months notice a legal requirement and if so which part of the legislation stipulates this?

I'm sorry to be so pernickety but I want to be sure of my facts before I confront the tenant.

Many thanks

Scribbler

Comment

Rent is purchased in full months, you can only buy full months of rent if the contract states monthly. Compare it with baked beans (as regular readers know, I often do) where you can not buy 17 beans, you have to buy a whole tin full.

Comment

Originally posted by scribbler View Post
                Hi Thanks ever so much for the replies. It's probably me but what you seem to be indicating is that one month 'clear notice' is required. However, I note that on Landlordzones advice page this isn't the case.
                LLZ page says:

Where the tenancy has become a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (where the fixed-term has ended and no new agreement signed for another fixed-term) the tenant must give the landlord notice if he wants to leave:

• The notice must be in writing
                • It must be delivered at least 4 weeks before the notice period ends or 1 month if rent is paid monthly
                • It must bring the tenancy to an end at the end of a full rent period.

The notice period must end at the end of a tenancy payment period: for example, if the rent payment date is on the 20th of each month, the notice period must end on the 19th of the month.

Though I must point out that the advice is incorrect in terms of basing tenancy periods on rental periods (there are a few such errors in the LLZ factsheets, unfortunately).

It only mentions that one months notice is required as does the Shelter website.
                Again, no. Shelter says:

It is always best to give notice in writing and ensure that the notice ends on the first or last day of the period of a tenancy. For example, if your tenancy is monthly and started on the fifth day of the month, the notice you give the landlord should end on the fourth or the fifth.

Originally posted by scribbler View Post
                Is the clear months notice a legal requirement and if so which part of the legislation stipulates this?
                T's notice requirements aren't in the legislation; it's based on case law. I'm afraid I can't recall offhand which case law but, as you can see, in fact both of your links back up what Snorkerz and MTG have told you.

Comment

I would reiterate a previous comment of mine: a notice stating a different expiry date from those mentioned in post #8 should not be considered void but rather as taking effect at the end of the following tenancy period, IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. It would be interesting to know the case law if this aspect of tenancy law is not contained within the primary legislation?

Comment

Here is my understanding of the law:

During a periodic tenancy (i.e. after the initial 6 month fixed period) the tenant must give the landlord a minimum of 1 month's notice. If the contract does not state that the 1 month must run from the period start day then the tenant can give 1 month's notice from any day of the month irrespective of the period start/end.

You must always be specific in your contract!

Comment

Originally posted by karim View Post
                        Here is my understanding of the law:

During a periodic tenancy (i.e. after the initial 6 month fixed period) the tenant must give the landlord a minimum of 1 month's notice. If the contract does not state that the 1 month must run from the period start day then the tenant can give 1 month's notice from any day of the month irrespective of the period start/end.

You must always be specific in your contract!
                        Provisions for notice in an expired fixed term contract do not carry through into a statutory periodic tenancy. See s.5(3)(e) Housing Act 1988.

No-one is disputing the fact that a T may serve notice to quit at any time during a SPT but the notice must give at least one month, and must also expire at the end of a tenancy period.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
                          newlandlord17
                          I was an unexpected landlord when I inherited a property recently. Originally I thought I wanted to carry on but then the tenant was nagging about small repairs and when my contractor went in he said the house was very messy, there was a smell of cat urine and a lampshade and door had been damaged....
                          20-07-2017, 10:21 AM
                        • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
                          theartfullodger
                          Would need to expire after end fixed term.

Have S3 & s48 notices been served prior to s21?

Are you confident s21 was valid? Told by solicitor Tuesday that 70% of landlords s21s are invalid....
                          20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
                        • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                          Jenny7
                          Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
                          So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
                          We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
                          17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
                        • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                          Jenny7
                          thanks, but it's exactly this sort of thing we wish to avoid, bad faith and stress :-(
                          is the rental system really set up like this? to prevent tenants from looking and shopping and moving with ease?
                          I guess we've rented the same spot so long we figured we could move when chose not be subject...
                          20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
                          JK0
                          I wouldn't sweat it. Worse comes to worse, you can stay on at the end of your notice. Landlord would still have to go to court to get rid of you.
                          20-07-2017, 12:17 PM
                        • Claiming for Non protected deposit
                          charliesugar
                          This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
                          She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
                          27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
                        • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
                          charliesugar
                          So, the weeks have passed by with no reply from the landlord. I decided to give him a call myself today just to get a feel for the situation. He basically tried to deny that he was the agent in question but then went on to say he would not be paying anything back. We have contacted one of the No Win...
                          20-07-2017, 12:16 PM
                          Jenny7
                          thanks all for the useful advice and insight
                          we contacted the LL directly since I posted but she is taking advice from our current agent who are saying it would be utterly unfair to provide a reference before we hand in our notice as it would not leave them time to advertise and the house would...
                          20-07-2017, 12:15 PM
                          JK0
                          Then you want confirmation of all those items in writing to send to the court....
                          20-07-2017, 12:15 PM
                          newlandlord17
                          The agent tells me everything was done properly when the tenancy was started, presumably I don't need to redo it all now?
                          20-07-2017, 12:12 PM
                        Working...
                        X