landlord is going to dispose of my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landlord is going to dispose of my car

hi hope someone can help, I rent a flat and everything is ok, rent is paid on time every month, the flat has resident parking outside and I have a classic car which is not taxed, but now the landlord has written me a letter saying that is I dont remove it they will dispose of it, my question is, can they remove it without my consent? surley as I am the registered keeper/owner, they cannot get somebody to remove it as it will be theft? I am not moving and have not given any notice to quit etc.

regards

Is the untaxed vehicle currently SORNed? SORN has to be renewed every year. Private off road parking for SORN vehicles is no offence but you may wish to review your T Agreement as to how many of your vehicles are allowed to occupy residential parking spaces if not pre=allocated and status of untaxed vehicles. Time to NEGOTIATE?

Comment

Of course he can't - write back to him to say you have reported his threat to steal your property to the police and then do so.

It may be that the lease has a rule that says all cars kept there must be taxed and insured. This is to prevent people keeping old wrecks "that they are going to do up one day" lying around. In this case he may well be entitled to insist that you remove it and then possibly remove it himself after following due process but it will take a while.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterist007 View Post
        hi hope someone can help, I rent a flat and everything is ok, rent is paid on time every month, the flat has resident parking outside and I have a classic car which is not taxed, but now the landlord has written me a letter saying that is I dont remove it they will dispose of it, my question is, can they remove it without my consent? surley as I am the registered keeper/owner, they cannot get somebody to remove it as it will be theft? I am not moving and have not given any notice to quit etc.

regards
        Does your agreement have a preclusion on storing untaxed vehicles within the demise? A lot will. Whilst I doubt they could remove your car, you could potentially be in breach of contract with LL.
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Originally posted by scooterist007 View Post
          surley as I am the registered keeper/owner, they cannot get somebody to remove it as it will be theft? I am not moving and have not given any notice to quit etc.
          If pre 1973 ( I think ) then no tax is required ( but you still get a tax disc )
          with fee = £ 0

The lease about no raod tax is to prevent wrecks on the drive, probably
          with seized brakes, and cant be pushed or even driven, so the landlord is
          complying with the lease if it says no un taxed cars.

They can remove your vehicle if you refuse to conform to the lease
          that you signed to obey, and you are not obeying your lease. They can
          lift your car off the drive and deposit it outside, on the road if you fail
          to observe the lease ( which you signed to obey ).
          They cannot dispose of it, they can only remove it off the property.
          No theft takes place.

You have 2 options.
          One, road tax the car.
          Two, take photos and explain you understand the lease is to prevent
          wrecks on the drive, and this is what the section in the lease is to
          prevent, but this is not a wreck as shown by the photos, and state that
          as the car is not a wreck, in perfect working order, then the purpose
          of them wanting to apply to the letter, that no wrecks should be on the
          drive, should not apply to your car, and they should retract their objection.

Also state that the threat to steal you car, by having it "disposed of " is
          a criminal actt, and the full weight of the law of theft would be used against
          them.

I have 5 cars, incl. two classics, and the small fee per year to tax a car
          is tiny compared to the thousands spent each year to maintain.
          ( if your car is outside, it would be foolish not to have insurance )

You may say, but it does not need thousands spent each year, but if
          you bought a new car, and sold back to dealer 12 months later, you
          would lose £ 6000, so better to have a classic and spend a few thousand
          a year, and be happier than with a shapeless new car.
          AND TAX IT ....

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X