Replacing Joint Tenant - new contract or periodic tenancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Joint Tenant - new contract or periodic tenancy?

We rent out a flat currently to two joint tenants.

Mr A has told us he is vacating the property at the end of the six month term. Mr B wants to stay in the property but can only afford half the rent.

Mr A has found somebody willing to move in and all is agreeable with Mr B. We have requested references and employment check which has come back fine.

However, we would prefer to keep the tenancy as a periodic can we just do an amendment to the existing contract adding Miss C as a new tenant and removing Mr A or would a new contract have to be set up?

Could we just add Miss C as a permitted resident and keep it as a monthly rollover?

What would be the legal implications of each one for us as landlords?

Thank you

You can have a periodic tenancy from day 1 - it doesn't have to be a fixed term. http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/201...iodic-tenancy/. You would not be able to evict under section 21 in the first 6 months.

However, Mr A can (with yours & Mr Bs permission) assign his place on the tenancy to Miss C - BUT - that is likely to get messy for both sides when it comes to deposits. http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index...g_tenants/0-25

Comment

Originally posted by turnersham View Post
      We rent out a flat currently to two joint tenants.

Mr A has told us he is vacating the property at the end of the six month term. Mr B wants to stay in the property but can only afford half the rent.

Mr A has found somebody willing to move in and all is agreeable with Mr B. We have requested references and employment check which has come back fine.

However, we would prefer to keep the tenancy as a periodic can we just do an amendment to the existing contract adding Miss C as a new tenant and removing Mr A or would a new contract have to be set up?
      Yes, you can assign Mr A's position to Miss C by a deed of assignment. It'd be advisable to pay a solicitor to do this.

Could we just add Miss C as a permitted resident and keep it as a monthly rollover?
      Yes, but Mr A would continue to be one of the joint tenants, and jointly and individually liable for all of the rent; and I doubt he'd want that. And Miss C wouldn't be a tenant therefore not liable for the rent. And Mr A could serve notice to quit at any time after the tenancy became periodic, thus ending the whole tenancy.

What would be the legal implications of each one for us as landlords?
      In the first scenario, the implications are possibly that Miss C won't want to take on liability for any damage caused during the first six months of the tenancy. So it'd be advisable to do a check-out/check-in inventory when she moved in, return Mr A's deposit (less any agreed deductions), and start with a fresh slate.

The second scenario isn't viable.

There's a third scenario. End the current tenancy of Mr A & Mr B by a deed of surrender. Grant a contractual periodic tenancy to Mr B and Miss C - ASTs don't have to be fixed term.

But do bear in mind that, in a periodic tenancy (statutory or contractual), then any/either one of the joint tenants can end the whole tenancy at any time by serving valid notice to quit.*

*I'm only guessing that this applies to contractual periodic tenancies (as well as statutory ones), on the basis that, if notice had to be served by all joint tenants together, then theoretically an individual tenant might never be able to exit the contract without the cooperation of all the other tenants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
        by Hudson01
        I can see that from a laymans point of view that is correct, but when you talk/deal with individuals who have attempted suicide it's simply not the case, if this was a genuine cause for concern and the Police forced entry they did it in the belief that his life was in danger, from himself probably....
        22-01-2022, 20:56 PM
      • Property damaged. Advice please
        by minorbark
        Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
        18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
      • Reply to Garage left filled with tenant's goods
        by theartfullodger
        When I bought a house in 2000 in the Highlands it came with a garage: Which had a car in it. Belonged to a neighbour, who used it to sleep in when he'd been in the pub too late & his wife locked him out. Took me 6 months to sort...
        22-01-2022, 18:51 PM
      • Garage left filled with tenant's goods
        by robbo2233
        Hi! Hoping the forum can advise me. We have a lock-up garage in a residential estate that had been let to an individual who ceased to pay monthly rental. Notice to quit was served by our letting agents Countrywide in October, and yet the tenant's goods still remain in situ. Agents have advised...
        20-01-2022, 21:31 PM
      • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
        by Lawcruncher
        The point here is though that the tenant's obligations under the tenancy cannot extend to repairing parts of the property which the landlord is under an obligation to repair.

Outside the tenancy, anyone, including a tenant, who damages property must meet the cost of repairing the damage....
        22-01-2022, 18:45 PM
      • Reply to Labour taxation plans
        by theartfullodger
        May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
        22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
      • Labour taxation plans
        by steaming
        Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
        20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
        by SouthernDave
        The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
        22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
        by SouthernDave
        Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard, to take from their labours. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it.
        22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
      • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
        by SouthernDave
        I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
        22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
      Working...
      X