Allowing my flatmate to stay on an extra 4 days but not me, what can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowing my flatmate to stay on an extra 4 days but not me, what can I do?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you could advise me as property is something I know nothing about. Sorry if this is long.

I have been staying in unite student accomadation for the past year (http://www.unite-students.com/?utm_s...FUcMtAoduBiU7Q) and my tenency is from the 12/09/2010 to the 27/08/2011.

There are 5 of us in a flat sharing a communal area. We applied to stay on for another year but were unable to as they only allow a certain number of flats to do this due to a large number of first years coming in.

That was fine and we went out and found an affordable 5 bed house with a reputable letting agent (being in London this took some time). However upon going to sign the contact last week we were told we wouldn't be able to move in until the 31st - 4 days after my tenency with unite ends.

All my flatmates had planned to get their parents to move their possesions out and home for the summer anyway, however this was not really a possibility for me as I live near the scottish borders, neither my parents or I drive and I find it difficult being at home due to my mothers metal illness. So I was banking on a cross over of tenencys and we were told when we viewed the house that there probably would be.

At the beginning of summer one of my flatmates dad broke his foot and she was unable to move her possessions out on the date she had planned so her mother called and asked unite for an extension to the tenency to the 31st August to which they agreed no problem.

However when I asked them for an extension for the same time period they declined on the grounds that my circumstances were not 'unforseen' like my flatmates even though I was not aware of the 4 day gap until last week. Tbh the lady on the desk seemed to think I had 'planned' it - with us being in the same flat and moving into the same house but thats not the case. Over the year i've also complained to the same lady (politely) on the two occasions that she left my room unlocked after inspections so it may be that she has a negative view of me.Other than that i've always been a good tenant and my room is clean and undamaged. The new tenants are not due to move in until the 12th of September.

I'm really panicking about this as it's quite possible that me and my things are going to be made homeless soon and i've no idea what to do. I understand that I probably can't argue with them but it's frustrating that they were willing to extend my flatmates tenency but not my own. If I was forced to stay there would they be able to evict me in those 4 days?

Thanks for reading

If you don't leave on the leave date, what are they actually going to do? Can you not move into the new place a bit earlier? Have you even asked?
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

What sort of tenancy are we talking about? Standard AST?

Originally posted by glittersprite View Post
      If I was forced to stay there would they be able to evict me in those 4 days?
      Evicting someone takes a court order and its enforcement by bailiffs.
      With that in mind I'm sure you'll understand that it would take much longer than 4 days.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys

Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
        Can you not move into the new place a bit earlier? Have you even asked?
        This was the first thing I thought of but they said house needs a bit of work doing to so they didn't think it would be possible before the 31st. They said if that changes then they're going to let me know.

Originally posted by jjlandlord
        What sort of tenancy are we talking about? Standard AST?
        tbh i'm not sure, i'll try and root out my paperwork and find out.

Evicting someone takes a court order and its enforcement by bailiffs.
        With that in mind I'm sure you'll understand that it would take much longer than 4 days.
        Thanks, I think I just had visions of them charging in one day and kicking me and everything out.

Comment

Right I've had a look at things and I think it is an AST -

http://www.unite-students.com/unite-...onditions.page

Looking through it all this worried me a bit -

"3.21 Deliver the Room, the Contents and the key to the Room/Flat to the Landlord at the end of the Tenancy Period in the same condition as recorded in the inventory and, by no later than the Tenancy End Date, clear the Tenant’s own belongings from the Room and the Flat Common Parts. To the extent that the Tenant fails to remove his/her belongings from the Room and the Flat Common Parts by the Tenancy End Date, the Landlord shall be under no duty of care towards the same and reserves the right to dispose of such belongings as it thinks fit without any liability whatsoever to the Tenant"

Does that mean they could remove my possessions without a court order?

Comment

Please tell us:

Is the property in England/Wales?
            Do you have an individual contract for your room (as opposed to a joint contract with all five of you on the same contract)?
            Who is named as landlord, is it a private company?

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
              Please tell us:

Is the property in England/Wales?
              Do you have an individual contract for your room (as opposed to a joint contract with all five of you on the same contract)?
              Who is named as landlord, is it a private company?
              Hi,

The property is in England.
              We are on an individual contract for the room.
              I believe the UNITE group plc are the landlord so it's a private company.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by glittersprite View Post
                Right I've had a look at things and I think it is an AST -

http://www.unite-students.com/unite-...onditions.page

Looking through it all this worried me a bit -

"3.21 Deliver the Room, the Contents and the key to the Room/Flat to the Landlord at the end of the Tenancy Period in the same condition as recorded in the inventory and, by no later than the Tenancy End Date, clear the Tenant’s own belongings from the Room and the Flat Common Parts. To the extent that the Tenant fails to remove his/her belongings from the Room and the Flat Common Parts by the Tenancy End Date, the Landlord shall be under no duty of care towards the same and reserves the right to dispose of such belongings as it thinks fit without any liability whatsoever to the Tenant"

Does that mean they could remove my possessions without a court order?
                No. The landlord has an inescapable duty of care towards a tenant's belongings (if left behind after a tenancy ends). However, the LL would not need a court order to deal with the belongings - he would have to serve notice(s) to the ex-tenant, asking him to collect, and after a certain period had expired he could at that point dispose of the uncollected belongings.

Also note that, if you do have an AST, (and it sounds like you do), then the tenancy cannot be unilaterally ended by the landlord except by serving notice under s.21 or s.8, applying for a possession order etc. If an AST tenant is in occupation when the fixed term expires, a statutory periodic tenancy will automatically arise, by law (a.k.a. a rolling contract).

So, basically, the LL can't just kick you out when the fixed term expires and/or dispose of your belongings. However, if you do stay in occupation for those extra four days, you'd be liable for rent for at least another month, because notice in a periodic tenancy is at least one month, also expiring at the end of a tenancy period - so it could be cheaper to stay in a b&b.

Comment

Thanks alot for the advice. Staying on is a last resort, I was just wanting to know where I stood if it came to it.

Comment

Put your contents in storage, & stay in B&B for few days or phone a friend.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renewing a tenancy - should I also renew the inventory/condition report?
                      by CStevens
                      Yes it is possible to do that and i would suggest in this case you have to do it. Having said that, if you grant them a further 2 years the place is not going to get any better so why dont you suggest to the tenant that you are happy to grant a further 2 years on the proviso that they first do 'x,y,z'...
                      27-05-2022, 06:24 AM
                    • Renewing a tenancy - should I also renew the inventory/condition report?
                      by bagus
                      After landlording for many years, this is the first time I've been in this situation. Most of my tenants are now on SPTs, which seems to work well for both parties.

However, a family living in one of my houses asked initially for a 2 year contract, because they were looking to adopt a second...
                      25-05-2022, 17:18 PM
                    • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                      by jpkeates
                      Hopefully, the guarantor agreement is a deed (and not part of the AST).

At witness can be anyone, but a connected witness is less than ideal, particularly for something being signed remotely.
                      The idea is for it to be as difficult as possible for someone to forge the “guarantor”s...
                      27-05-2022, 06:21 AM
                    • Tenancy Agreement Help
                      by Harrison38784
                      Hi all,

I am a new landlord and looking for some help with the AST.

I have created a tenancy agreement which is now ready for signing.

The tenancy agreement is due to start on the 1st July.

Can the tenancy agreement be signed before the move in...
                      26-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                    • Reply to Special clauses
                      by CStevens
                      i am not sure why you would insert a break clause on those terms as that is exactly what you will be able to do if you grant a 6 month AST anyway so why not just do that?

You don't have to provide a shower or maintain one but you do have to provide sanitation facilities so if there is a...
                      27-05-2022, 06:21 AM
                    • Special clauses
                      by Harrison38784
                      Hi All,

I want to add the following break clause into my AST, but I’m wondering if I do so, do I also need to give my tenant also a break clause?

‘The Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving the Tenant not less than 2 months' written notice expiring [on or at any...
                      26-05-2022, 18:16 PM
                    • Reply to Ending contract with letting agent
                      by jpkeates
                      The deposit is the tenant’s money, and what the agent has to, or can do, with it depends on what they agreed with the tenant and / or you.
                      I don’t see how you can compel them to transfer the deposit to you unless they’ve previously agreed to do that.
                      27-05-2022, 06:16 AM
                    • Ending contract with letting agent
                      by Shorif908
                      Hi All,

Long story short, my agent of the last 18 months we have decided to depart ways.

I have most documents the only thing I don't have is documents related to the DPS.

I dont have the certificate so I dont know the deposit ID. The estate agent claims that...
                      27-05-2022, 05:50 AM
                    • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                      by CStevens
                      Hi,

In answer to each question:

1. There is no reason why you cannot have the AST signed before. You would normally date it the date upon which the tenant takes up occupation but that's not necessary. You could date it once everyone has signed if they are happy;
                      27-05-2022, 06:14 AM
                    • Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
                      by CStevens
                      You might as well grant them an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ('AST')because, unless you charge them less than £100 a year, it's going to be deemed to be an AST in any case. Perhaps grant it for 2 years then it can be a rolling periodic for the 3rd year if needed. Friend or not though you are going to...
                      27-05-2022, 06:06 AM
                    Working...
                    X