Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Flats linked to one Electricity meter

Hello everyone

I have been in my new flat about a month and as far as I can work out all there is only one electricity meter in the building of 3 flats. There are electricity swtich boxes marked A, B, C for the three flats, which are all wired to one meter.

I had been told by the letting agants that the other flats had their meters in their flats and the one in the halway is mine, however I bumped into one of the other flat occupants looking at the meter and they asked if I knew which was theirs.

So at the moment I am concluding that all three flats are linked to one electricity meter, thus we would have to organise splitting the bill somehow. Does anyone know if this is legal? All of the flats have seperate front doors and are numbered 53A, 53B, 53C. I'm guessing the letting agents (who own the propery) will refuse to install seperate meters if it is legal for them to have it as it is now.

Many Thanks

Originally posted by Sticklebricks View Post
    I have been in my new flat about a month and as far as I can work out all there is only one electricity meter in the building of 3 flats. There are electricity swtich boxes marked A, B, C for the three flats, which are all wired to one meter.

I had been told by the letting agants that the other flats had their meters in their flats and the one in the halway is mine, however I bumped into one of the other flat occupants looking at the meter and they asked if I knew which was theirs.

So at the moment I am concluding that all three flats are linked to one electricity meter, thus we would have to organise splitting the bill somehow. Does anyone know if this is legal?
    Can't comment on the legality, but it sounds extraordinarily dodgy to me. Who's the poor schmuck who has his name on the bill for the meter which apparently supplies three flats? Would that be you? Because that's who the electric co will be chasing for payment of the bill, and if so I hope the other tenants are reasonable people. What happens if any of them decide they don't want to pay up? Or just quit the property with no forwarding address?

To be honest the whole scenario sounds like a conversion done below the radar of the Planning and Building Control departments. I wonder what other issues there are?

Comment

So who are you paying your elec till to?

Have the other tenants looked properly? they may well have a meter in their flat, turn off the switch that does you flat, see if the meter is still going ?

Comment

As far as I can work out from the post that arrives Flat A are paying the bill. I'm not sure how long they have lived in the block, for longer than me anyway.

Interestingly I have found out that Flat C is occuppied by someone who works for the letting agents (who own the propery) as a handyman. And that the previous occupier of the flat I am in was an employee too.

So I seem to be in a tricky situation. Can I conclude that the guy in Flat C understands the situation and knows that Flat A are paying for all of the electricity?

Does anyone know if I can get them to install a meter?

Comment

Ring the leccy Co, provide address and ask for details of last bill, name on account, start - end of bill meter readings. Speak to flat A
          Each bill contains the serial number of the applicable meter.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Live in landlord
            Schie
            Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
            19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
          • Reply to Live in landlord
            leaseholder64
            Although you don't need a licence, you still need the fire risk assessments, and to obey all the rules about HMOs.

Also, are you sure they are really lodgers? What is it about the arrangement that doesn't give them exclusive access to their room? This is more likely an excluded tenancy...
            20-06-2019, 11:10 AM
          • Tenant in property 11 years and 6 months - fair wear and tear and damages
            JoeFL
            Hi,

Have a tenant moving out after 11 yrs 6 mths - always paid rent and no problems during duration of tenancy.

However they are moving out and there are quite a few problems with damages. Nothing malicious but its adding up. Can anyone give me guidance on whether I should...
            20-06-2019, 08:58 AM
          • Reply to Tenant in property 11 years and 6 months - fair wear and tear and damages
            SE_Renter
            completely agree. You've been incredibly fortunate that the departing tenants haven't requested these issues to have been resolved during their tenancy.

Suggest you return the deposit in full and start carrying out the maintenance that you've been neglecting for years.
            20-06-2019, 11:02 AM
            leaseholder64
            You are only allowed two lodgers, if you want special treatment for lodgers.
            20-06-2019, 10:57 AM
            Schie
            I have 3 lodgers atm (1 lodger per room ). I checked on havering council website and it says I don't need license atm. (I'm the fourth person in the house)

But with loft conversion I'm gona have 4th lodger in the house. And then myself 5th one (do I have to include myself in it as I'm ...
            20-06-2019, 10:20 AM
          • Tenant abandoning property
            Ms London
            What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
            05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
          • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
            nukecad
            That's always a bit of a risky strategy, although many do get away with it.

But if you agree a new tenancy with a new tenant, and then the old tenant doesn't move out when they said they would, you're in a bind unless you have somewhere else to put the new tenant....
            20-06-2019, 09:47 AM
          • Council tax issue
            buttons
            I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
            19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
          • Reply to Council tax issue
            KTC
            I don't know why you think we can read the council's mind. Having said that, telling them you are "completely unaware of when she left" probably isn't going to help your case.....

If the tenancy wasn't still in its fixed term or contractual periodic, then the liability depends...
            20-06-2019, 09:32 AM
          Working...
          X