Fair wear and tear - laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair wear and tear - laws

Our tenants have scuffed the downstairs hall way in our flat by have bikes and other things rubbing badly against the walls etc (being stored against the walls) and desks and chairs rubbing against the lounge wall which again has badly marked it. Is this fair wear and tear? i don't think it is as i know i would never just let stuff mark the walls like that.

I guess it depends how long they were there. If six months, I would agree with you. If three years, maybe it's fair.

Comment

there were there for 1 year and its pretty bad. i can understand some marks but not to the extent it is.

Comment

Well, then I guess you can charge a proportion of redecorating costs. I reckon to do mine maybe once every three years. Work out what proportion of that you have 'lost' and charge that proportion of redecorating costs.

Comment

Obviously, you can not do this in communal areas (downstairs hallway?) as tenants have no responsibility for these areas. Obviously, if you have proof it was them in communal areas, that would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            Obviously, you can not do this in communal areas (downstairs hallway?) as tenants have no responsibility for these areas. Obviously, if you have proof it was them in communal areas, that would be different.
            If it's a joint tenancy, all areas of the property are equal. OP has given no indication that it's a shared property with tenants on individual ASTs for their rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
              If it's a joint tenancy, all areas of the property are equal. OP has given no indication that it's a shared property with tenants on individual ASTs for their rooms.
              OP cites a flat - It must be reasonable to assume that 'downstairs' in a flat may not be part of the let property.

Comment

Fair wear and tear is what's fair and reasonable to expect a tenant or tenants to cause over the duration of the tenancy. Even if you think it's unreasonable and unfair, does it actually enter into the realm of damage, and can you prove it if T disputes it?

It's not black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  OP cites a flat - It must be reasonable to assume that 'downstairs' in a flat may not be part of the let property.
                  A flat can be a maisonette on more than one level; very common in London (dunno about elsewhere).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                    by Moderator2
                    Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                    1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                    18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                  • Tenant references are a joke.
                    by Hooper
                    I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                    17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                  • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                    by jpkeates
                    The underlay is the key.
                    At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                    18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                  • Typical lifetime of carpets
                    by davett
                    I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                    17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                    by jpucng62
                    Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                    18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                  • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                    by jpkeates
                    There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                    The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                    If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                    18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                  • MCOL & PCOL
                    by OS7
                    Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                    04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
                    18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                    by Hooper
                    Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
                    18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
                    by Hooper
                    With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
                    18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
                  Working...
                  X